4 Delicious Porridge Recipes
Being born in a Teochew family ( one of the Chinese community),porridge has been part of our meal since childhood days. Kids love porridge since it is similar to rice mix with soup, easy to chew.
I think it started from my grandmother who had always cooked porridge for my dad when he was young. Back then in WW1, they had nothing to eat but porridge and sweet potatoes.
Since then, porridge had became part of our daily food for decades.
There are many versions of porridge or congee ( which we fondly known as "chook" ) that exist among the Chinese communities.
Since there are many different clans ; Teochew, Hokkien, Cantonese, Hakka, Kek, Hainan; each family has their own tradition to add different ingredients in porridge to induce flavorful, fragrant and appetizing recipe.
Some people love to cook plain porridge and have side dishes to compliment the main course meal.
Popular side dishes are:
- roast peanuts
- shredded eggs
- fried anchovies
- fried shallots
- fried ginger
- salted cabbages
- salted eggs
- salted mackerel fish
I prefer Knorr brand porridge
What is Porridge?
- Porridge is a dish made by boiling rice, oats or other grains mix with water, milk, cream or coconut milk. It is best served hot in a bowl accompanied by side dishes depending on different countries and cultures.
- It is a perfect dish for everyone especially babies, kids lack of appetite, elderly folks and sick patients.
- Porridge usually includes rice, various vegetables and meat. Some people add in salt, sugar, milk soy sauce or sesame oil to enhance the taste.
- It is usually in the form of soupy, sticky, creamy and hot.
- Nowadays, you can purchase ready-made porridge in packet or sealed in a cup or bowl in majority hypermarket, grocery stores and even 24 hours outlet.
- There are variety of flavor to choose from such as vegetarian, chicken, maize, mushroom, curries, oats, rye, pork, fish and many more.
Corn & Carrot Porridge
Corn kernel and carrots are fiber food, great for kids to promote smooth bowel movements
How much water should I add?
1 cup rice
8 cups water
1 cup rice
10 cups water
1 cup rice
13 cups water
CORN and CARROT PORRIDGE
50g diced carrot
75g red rice
75g white rice
1 tbsp preserved cabbage
10 bowls of water
salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and soak red rice for 2 hours.
- Drain well. Add a little oil and salt.Stir well. Marinate for 30min.
- Wash white rice. Drain well.
- Add a little oil and salt. Stir well. Marinate for 30min.
- Soak preserved cabbage for 10min.
- Rinse and squeeze out excess water.
- Bring 10 bowls of water to boil in a pot.
- Add in white and red rice.
- Allow to cook over low heat until half-cooked.
- Add in carrot, corn and preserved cabbage.
- Simmer until all vegetable and porridge are cooked.
- Taste before adding salt and pepper.
If you are looking for a rice cooker that cooks fragrant rice and boils porridge, you should buy this rice and slow cooker to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. You can boil porridge with minced meat in the morning , set it as a slow cooker mode. By evening, you will have a nicely done porridge for the kids or your whole family.
It is programmable, you can set the time and different modes available. It is easy to use, easy to wash and saves electricity.
Best rice and slow cooker
Oatmeal with Beef
Babies and toddlers love easily to munch food. Oatmeal with beef / pork / chicken adds flavorful taste for kids. Oatmeal is a healthy meal for all age.
Raw Oats & Fresh Beef
OATMEAL with BEEF
1/2 cup rolled oats
113g minced beef / chicken / pork
1 stalk spring onion, diced
a pinch of salt and pepper
1/2 tbsp light soy saice
1/2 tsp cornflour
- Add marinade ingredients to the minced beef.
- Mix well.
- Boil 3 cups of water.
- Pour in oats.
- Boil oats briefly while stirring constantly.
- Pour in the minced beef.
- Stir until it is fully cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle spring onion on top.
- Serve hot.
How often do you consume porridge?
Roasted seaweed sheet
RICE PORRIDGE with MINCED PORK and LAVER
1 sheet Nori Seaweed , cut into thin strips
70g minced pork
1 stalk spring onion, diced
1 bowl rice
1 tsp light soy sauce
1/4 tsp cornflour
1/2 tsp Bonito seasoning powder
1/3 tsp salt
- Add marinade to the pork.
- Mix well and set aside.
- Soak rice in boiling water for 1 min. Drain.
- Boil 2 cups of water.
- Put in minced pork and cook for 3min.
- Put in seasoning.
- Bring to boil.
- Pour hot soup with the pork onto the rice.
- Sprinkle laver and spring onion on top.
- Serve immediately.
1.5 cup rice
3 litre water
1 small carrot
2 pieces dried scallop
100g groundnuts, washed, pre-boiled to remove dirt
150g minced meat / pork/ chicken
add 1 tbsp oil and salt to rice, soak for 10min
salt and pepper to taste
lettuce and fried egg to garnish
- In a pot, bring water to boil.
- Add in soaked rice.
- Cut pumpkin and carrot into cubes.
- Wash scallop.
- Put in scallop and groundnuts into the pot.
- Add salt, pepper and minced meat.
- Boil porridge constantly for 15-20min until it becomes thick.
- Garnish with shredded fried egg and lettuce.
Benefits of eating porridge
- Some people have porridge for breakfast as it is full of proteins and fiber.
- This is due to the fact that porridge can be easily digested for those with weak stomach, poor appetite and it is one of the best recipe for weight gain dieters or those who want to lose weight.
- Porridge has less cholesterol, helps to control glucose levels, prevents heart disease and other common illness. Therefore, it is the best choice for dieters..
- Eating porridge makes one to feel full easily. Hence, you won't overeat and helps you to lose weight.
- Porridge helps to reduce cholesterol in your blood.
- Porridge helps to maintain blood sugar level low or stable.
- Porridge is the best food for people ( old people, kids, toddlers and sick patients ) who have weak digestion.
- Porridge has carbohydrate, gives you energy and strength.
- Recent news claimed that porridge can prevent cancer and cardiovascular disease especially oat porridge
Different culture of porridge
- Many countries all over the world consume porridge as part of their culture and tradition. In England, rolled oat porridge is a common sight, Turkey, Italy, India and Romania consume maize or corn porridge, Greece, China, Asian countries, Thailand, Vietnam consume rice porridge.
- Chinese prefers to have salted eggs, century eggs, anchovies, deep fried groundnuts, salted cabbage to improve the bland taste of the porridge.
- As for Indonesian and Malaysian, they prefers salted fish, various vegetables and chilli sauce.
- Japanese mix with salt and green onions, while the Koreans mix with various seafood, nuts and mushrooms.
- The Phillipine side dishes are boiled eggs, chillies, tofu, spring onions, ginger, assorted meats and vegetables.
More healthy recipes written by peachpurple
- 5 Mother's Day Breakfast Recipes
Prepare a mouthwatering breakfast with these simple to cook Breakfast In Bed recipes for your mom on Mother's Day. These homemade gifts will touch your mother's heart easily. A Happy Mother's Day !
- Quick and Easy Low Cholesterol Recipes
Here are 4 quick to cook recipes that are nutritious and healthy for weight watchers. Vegetables are low in cholesterol， use lean meats and skinless chicken and steam or stir fries for delicious mea3
- Vegetarian Breakfast: Eggless Pancake
Eggless Pancake recipe is ideal for gluten free weight watchers and vegetarian consumers. Now you can make pancakes even without eggs!
- 5 Easy Malaysian Fried Rice Recipes
Fried rice is one of the staple cuisine in Asian countries. People love to eat fried rice as it is filling and comes in various ingredients that makes the fried rice extra special.
© 2010 peachy