Halloween Sugar Cookie Cut Out Recipe
Halloween Sugar Cookies
Halloween Sugar Cookie Cut Outs are a fun, easy, and festive way to celebrate the holiday while adding a delicious treat! So easy your children can help and join in the fun!
Prep Time is approximately 45-60 minutes (this includes the 30 minute chill time for the dough in the fridge) - (I sometimes keep the dough in the fridge longer for a better roll and cut)
- 1/2 Cup Soft Shortening
- 1/2 Cup (1 Stick) Softened Butter
- 1 1/2 Cups White Granulated Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Food Coloring (Optional) - (I use black and orange for cats and pumpkins)
Supplies & Utensils
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 Large Mixing Spoon (I use a wooden one)
- 1 Cup & Half Cup Measuring Cups
- Tablespoon Measuring Spoon
- Teaspoon Measuring Spoon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Measuring Spoon
- Rolling Pin
- Wax Paper
- Cookie Cutters
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray (Pam)
Step by Step Illustrated Directions
Directions for Making and Coloring Dough
- Mix well in large mixing bowl - Shortening, Butter, Eggs, Sugar, Milk, and Vanilla Extract.
- On a sheet of Wax Paper - Measure the Flour, Baking Powder and Salt. Gently mix or "cut" the dry ingredients together.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixture in the mixing bowl. Add about 1/4 of the dry ingredients at a time. Stir well between additions.
- Once mixing is complete, dough will be thick.
- If using food coloring, separate desired amounts of dough into separate, smaller bowls.
- Add different colors to each bowl as desired.
- Cover bowls with wax paper and put them in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes. (Like I said before, I like to put them in for at least an hour)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Lightly flour clean working space - (I use my countertop. The granite is cool which helps keep the dough cool and makes it easier for rolling and cutting.
- One color at a time, use lightly floured rolling pin to roll dough out somewhat thin.
- Cut into desired shapes
- Place on lightly greased (I use non-stick cooking spray - such as PAM)
- Sprinkle tops of cookies with sugar.
- Bake cookies at 425 degrees F for approximately 5-7 minutes. Oven times may vary. Bottoms of cookies should be lightly browned.
- Let cool and enjoy!