- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Ham and Potato Hash
What Is Hash
"Hash is a dish consisting of diced meat, potatoes, and spices that are mixed together and then cooked either alone or with other ingredients such as onions. The name is derived from the French verb hacher (to chop)"- from wikipedia.org
So as the definition from above says, you can make hash from anything. While to most popular is beef or corn beef hash. I have hash made from had chicken, deer, turkey, fish, tofu and my favorite ham. So as long as you got a small amount of meat and some potatoes you can make hash.
While most people think of the hash as a breakfast food, you can sever it with cornbread and vegetable for dinner, or make it into a patty and crisp it up for a sandwich that can be eaten at any time of the day.
Why Ham Hash
I love breakfast, and every Saturday I make hash and eggs. Mostly so I can use the leftovers from the week before. One of my favorite hashes to make is ham hash, and it seems like after the holidays I have an unlimited supply of leftover ham in the refrigerator. To me, nothing goes better together with the ham, potatoes, and peppers.
This is my basic recipe for ham hash, but like with any hash out there you can add or remove items that you have on hand. I know that my hash can change from week to week so don’t be afraid to mix it up for yourself.
I love to hear from every one of please feel free to leave a comment or question at the bottom of this article.
Ham and Potato Hash
Hash For Everyone
What Is your favorite hash?
Rating For Ham Hash Recipe
How long it takes
What You Need For Ham Hash
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 c ham, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
How You Make Ham Hash
- Boil potatoes in water until they are tender but not quite done and still somewhat firm, about 8 minutes
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper, cook another 3 minutes.
- And every thing else, and mix well. Cook hash until well browned, about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Eat as is or mash the hash just enough so that it holds together but you can still see the potatoes and ham.
If You Want To Make Corned Beef Hash
Ham Hash With Egg
I hope You Enjoy This Recipe
This is my favorite hash, and I hope you and your family likes it as much as mine. I would love to hear any recipe for hash you might have so please feel free to share in comments. Thanks for reading