- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Potatoes and food value
Potato Nutrients !!!
Recipe for Hash Brown Potatoes!!!
serving of 4 :-
4 large potatoes (approximately 600 grams )peeled and cut into half cms cubes
1 tsp onion grated
1/2 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp lemon juice
3 tablespoon butter
method to make :
Mix onion potatoes lemon juice salt and pepper ,together
Heat the frying pan on medium high flame for 2 minutes .melt the butter in the pan ,reduce the heat and cook the spiced potatoes till tender and light golden brown ,keep stirring with a spatula .partially mash potatoes ,pat them to form a cake about 15 cms and 2 cms thick ,fry till underside becomes crisp and brown and a crust has formed on low flame (for 5 minutes)with your spatula cut the cake in four portions and reform them into round shape fry till browned and crust has reformed ,then serve hot with sauce ,they are yummy to eat ,
There are sixteen types of potatoes available .
- Amazon.com: Oster 3210 Electric Nonstick Quesadilla Maker: Kitchen & Dining
Amazon.com: Oster 3210 Electric Nonstick Quesadilla Maker: Kitchen & Dining
How good are Potatoes.!!!
Potato are very healthy food. people have a misconception that it is not healthy and eating potato will make them fat ,The most important mineral matter found in potatoes are potash and phosphoric acid compounds. There are several organic acids (citric, tartaric and succinic acid), which vary in tubers of different ages and account in some measure for the flavor of potatoes.
There are sixteen varieties of potatoes sold in the market ,we may choose to our liking or taste ,some varieties of potatoes can be classified according to the content of starch it has ,thus we may say potatoes fall into three basic categories: -- starchy, waxy, and those in-between which are referred to as all-purpose.
- Starchy potatoes are good for baking and frying purpose.As their starch,may not hold together very well when cooked, but they are are fluffy and absorbent,
- Waxy potatoes are smoother, more waxier in texture so they hold shape while cooking. They are used in dishes like soups, stews, potato salad
- All purpose potatoes are less starchy than other varites of starchy potatoes, They will work for most of the potato dishes.
A note on potato safety:--- avoid potatoes which have green tint on the skin.As they have been exposed to too much light and have developed the toxin namely 'solanine' which may cause some conditions like cramping of legs and arms, headaches, diarrhea, and even fever. Such potato are bitter too.