Have you tried strawberry shortcake in a mason jar?
Can you save money & achieve a similar taste by attempting to prepare your favorite restaurant dishes at home?
- You can research the ingredients and nutritional information of the dish if the restaurant website, in restaurant menu or other source makes them readily available
- Pay attention to your palate as you taste the dish prepared from the restaurant
- What is it about the restaurant technique that makes it so appealing to you?
- Was it presented a particular way, on a particular dish?
- In the case of Red Lobster's strawberry shortcake in a mason jar, the moist layers of strawberries, cream and cake combined meant that the cake did not taste dry at all. The 3 ingredient combination of strawberries, cream and cake was very complementary.
Strawberry shortcake in a mason jar
The first time I tried strawberry shortcake in a mason jar was just a couple of short months ago. I really enjoyed this dessert purchased at a restaurant and looked forward to making it myself sometime.
The restaurant where I purchased strawberry shortcake in a mason jar is Red Lobster. The cost of the dessert was $5.29 and the presentation was not literally in a mason jar but rather in a plastic cup because I did not eat it in the restaurant. I ordered the strawberry shortcake to go.
Please rate this super easy 3 item recipe for a strawberry dessert
One of the best desserts
This dessert was truly enjoyable. It is one of my favorite dessert in general and it is my favorite dessert that Red Lobster offers. Over the years, I have tried quite a few of Red Lobster's desserts including key lime pie, ice cream, chocolate cake and brownie sundaes. The way the restaurant prepares this strawberry shortcake in a mason jar is very good.
- there are rich, discernible layers of very fresh pieces of strawberries, cream and cake pieces
- each bite is yummier than the one before
Preparing restaurant style dessert at home
I enjoyed the Red Lobster strawberry shortcake in a mason jar dessert so much. The generous portion took a while to eat. As I was enjoying the last bites, I was already creating my master plan to prepare a copycat version of this dessert for myself one day!
Well, that day came just a few days ago. I took to the supermarket to purchase my ingredients and subsequently took to the kitchen. I love to give myself a challenge in the kitchen but what I ended up doing was not a challenge at all. It was really very easy.
In the end, I was quite thankful for how quick and easy it is to recreate the great taste of the Red Lobster dessert because these days, I haven't had much time for a lot of elaborate food preparation.
My children looked on, trying to "help" and could not wait to dig into this dessert!
Only the freshest and tastiest strawberries will do
No cook recipe takes just 10 minutes or less!
Super Easy Recipe with just 3 items
- 4-5 heaping table spoons Cool Whip Original, whipped topping
- 4 thin slices Entenmann's butter loaf, chopped - pound cake, sponge cake, angel food cake are all other options
- 6 large fresh strawberries, sliced or chopped
Instructions & budget for super easy strawberry dessert
- This recipe is so easy and quick that it is barely worthy of instruction. Although you can choose to bake a cake from scratch and use it for this recipe, it is not necessary at all. No baking is needed. Choose a delicious homemade style cake that has color, taste and texture similar to pound cake or sponge cake for example. I chose Entenmann's butter loaf and could not be happier with that choice. It was perfect for this recipe.
- The butter loaf offers at least 8 servings & costs $4.79. You will be using less than 4 of the servings, by cutting 4 thin slices of the cake.
- After cutting the 4 thin slices of cake, cut those slices further into small squares. Set the cake squares aside on a disposable plate. Keeping a few disposable plates on hand for this project will make for a super quick and easy clean up.
Items you will need
Delicious Entenmann's all butter loaf cake
Wash fruit well before use and cut fruit slices
4. After cutting the cake and setting it aside on a plate, remove six of the largest, freshest, blemish free and bruise free strawberries from the strawberry container.
My container of strawberries usually cost $3.99 when I buy it on sale at my local supermarket. Regular price would be $5.99.
5. Wash the strawberries well in a colander & drain.
6. Pat the strawberries dry with a paper towel if further drying seems necessary and proceed to cut all of the green stems and leaves off.
7. Next, slice up all of the strawberries lengthwise or you might prefer just cutting them up in small chunks
8. Return all unused strawberries to the refrigerator in the sealed strawberry container to maintain freshness. Unfortunately, strawberries can go bad relatively quickly, so they should be used up within a few days or washed, placed in a freezer safe sealed container and frozen. Personally, I don't particularly like to freeze fresh fruit and thaw it to eat later. The family and I will just eat the fruit while it is fresh. Therefore, we don't stock up on more than we need at one time.
You might also choose instead to prepare multiple servings of the dessert at the same time perhaps for entertaining guests. There is enough cake, strawberries and whip cream for 3-4 mason jars full.
Approximate calorie count for a full mason jar, not shared
|Calories from Fat||342|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 38 g||58%|
|Saturated fat 23 g||115%|
|Unsaturated fat 15 g|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Layering the ingredients for Super easy 3 item strawberry dessert
9. In your clean mason jar, you can begin layering your ingredients. You can just use an estimate to divide each ingredient, ensuring that you have enough for layering. Cake as the very bottom layer, followed by strawberries on top of the cake and the Cool Whip whipped topping (or real whipped cream which I plan to use next time) on top of the strawberries makes for nice color contrast of that first layer and pretty food presentation.
I felt that the strawberries always looked great next to the Cool Whip whipped topping and the cake would not look as good right next to the whipped topping (or whipped cream) with the coloring between them being so close.
So most often, my layers would actually turn out as follows from bottom to top.:
- Cool Whip original whipped topping or if you prefer to use real whipped cream
- Cool Whip or whipped cream
No more than 4-5 heaping tablespoons of Cool Whip whipped topping, other brand of whipped topping or real whip cream is needed but you can also go according to your taste with less or more.
Cool Whip is usually $3 or less on a sale and a coupon might be available.
So, 3-4 mason jars full of this dessert with extra generous portions can potentially be made for under $12.
Enjoy your super easy 3 item strawberry dessert!
There is discussion among natural food enthusiasts...
Do you eat Cool Whip sometimes?
Alternatives - for example, are you allergic to strawberries?
- If you would prefer to bake from scratch for this recipe, I'd like to recommend my Caribbean Style Sponge Cake or Pound Cake recipes to you for use if you don't already have a cake recipe in mind.
- Remember, you can always use real whipped cream instead of an imitation whipped topping. There are also many recipes available online for how to make your own whipped cream, if you prefer.
- Perhaps you might like to use vanilla pudding or vanilla custard as an alternative to whipped topping or whipped cream altogether.
- In the case of strawberry allergy or if you just don't like strawberries, there are fruit alternatives such as sliced peaches.