The Best-Ever Hawaiian Potato Salad Recipe
A Delicious Make-Ahead Hawaiian Potato Salad Recipe
Hawaiian Potato Salad is not the simplest potato salad recipe ever, but is certainly one of the most delicious ones! It contains more vegetables than the average potato salad and a slightly lighter-tasting and healthier dressing that still manages to be true to a mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip) based potato salad.
I love the fact that potato salad is a make-ahead recipe. When my guests arrive, the work is done. It is also perfect when you know you are going to be having a busy summer day. When you do get home all you have to do is take it out of the fridge -- add some leftover meat, cold cuts or baked ham and some great bread and you have a very satisfying meal.
I also take this dish with me when I am visiting family and friends and when we go camping. I just prepare it the day before, refrigerate it and transport it in a cooler with lots of ice. Everyone loves it. I am thrilled to have prepared a dish that is a hit with everyone and, because I made it the day before, I manage to look wonderfully organized at the same time!
This recipe will reward your efforts generously the day after you invest them. When you make it a day ahead, the flavours have a chance to fully develop and become the Best-Ever Hawaiian Potato Salad! Personally, I would not consider serving this salad on the day of -- although I will confess to stealing a small dish to make sure it has turned out okay. (Someone has to do it!)
Some call this type of salad a Hawaiian Potato Salad; others, Hawaiian Macaroni Salad. I prefer the first because it really does contain more potatoes than pasta. It may have originated from a plate lunch in Hawaii on which is served a scoop or two of macaroni potato salad. The pasta originally came from Italy; the mayonnaise, from Europe; and the potatoes, from South America. Whatever the origin, I know you are not here for a history lesson but, instead for a great new recipe to try. I hope you love this one as much as we do!
The Best-Ever Hawaiian Potato Salad Recipe
This recipe originated with one I found online more than 12 years ago and I have been tweaking it ever since.
4 large potatoes, left whole
1 cup shell macaroni, uncooked
2 chopped carrots2 chopped celery stalks
3 chopped sweet pickles
1 cup frozen peas, uncooked
2 chopped green onions
salt and pepper to taste
2 chopped boiled eggs
1/4 cup low-fat yogurt
3 tbsps light mayonnaise
2 tbsps pickle juice
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- Prepare the ingredients as discussed above -- leave the potatoes whole but chop the carrots, celery, pickles, green onions and boiled eggs.
- Boil the potatoes until they are tender but not too soft. Once they have cooled, cube them in bite-size pieces.
- Cook the macaroni as instructed on the package. I often cook a little bit extra with another meal in order to avoid doing this as an extra step.
- Add all of the ingredients except the dressing to a large bowl.
- Combine the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and then add them to the rest of the ingredients. Because the amount of potatoes and because how you like your potato salad will vary, you may have to add extra dressing. Remember, too, that pasta soaks up dressing and adjust accordingly.
- For the best results, let rest, refrigerated, for one day. My mother sprinkled paprika over her potato salad and I do that sometimes. Some people chop a bit of fresh parsley and sprinkle it over the salad as garnish.
Come On Into My Kitchen & We'll Throw Together Some Hawaiian Potato Salad... - Maybe you will even consider staying for supper!!!Click thumbnail to view full-size
What's in it for us?
The average North American consumes 158 pounds of potatoes per year! One in three meals includes some type of potatoes. That's a good thing as potatoes are packed with nutrition including Vitamin C, fiber and potassium...if only we'd stick to eating them baked, boiled or mashed with healthy toppings!
Potato Salad MUST Be Kept Cold! Here Is One Stylish Solution ~~ The Cold Bowl On Ice by Get Organized
The Cold Bowl on Ice will help keep your food chilled for an extended time. Just fill the base with ice and the cold travels upwards and into the bowl, chilling the food. It is an acrylic bowl that is break-resistant and dishwasher safe, making it perfect for summertime meals. There are no Amazon customer reviews yet for this item and I have not seen it. However, I have seen many similar products available and the idea really does sound good. I would use the Cold Bowl on Ice when I was setting the potato salad out for people to serve themselves from like on the buffet or patio table. If you have used this bowl or have seen it used, please make sure to leave a note on this page so that we can all benefit from your experience! By the way, for transporting potato salad, I would consider a different option like one of the coolers discussed a bit later in the page.
Have You Ever Had Hawaiian Potato Salad?
A Few Potato Tips
- For a potato salad that doesn't end up mushy, use waxy potatoes like Yukon Gold, which keep their shape better than starchy baking potatoes. Do not use Idaho potatoes or baking potatoes. Waxy potatoes cook faster, do not get mushy and do not fall apart as easily. You don't have to peel them, just scrub and cook!
- Pieces that are cut the same size will cook in the same amount of time. Alternatively, you can leave the potatoes whole (as my recipe does) and cut them up after they are cooked.
- Martha Stewart recommends the following recipe for taking your potato salad on the road in warm weather. It does not have any mayonnaise -- replacing the mayo with 1/2 cup of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard.
- Martha Stewart also says that potatoes can be steamed instead of boiled which is another way to keep them from getting mushy. Pieces should steam cook in about 15 to 20 minutes. I might just try that method next time.
Myth Buster: Hawaiian Potato Salad does NOT contain pineapple, papaya or any other tropical fruit!
Creative Potato Salad Add-Ins - Just be careful not to add to many salty and acidic ingredients!
- Sliced celery.
- Diced red onion.
- Sweet pickle relish.
- Chopped sweet pickles.
- Slivered green onion.
- Hard cooked eggs.
More Interesting Hawaiian Potato Salad Recipes
- Hawaiian Potato Salad From Food Time
A mention of my Hawaiian Potato Salad in one of last week's entries prompted a slew of emails asking for the recipe.
- Molokai Sweet Potato Salad Recipe From Emeril Lagasse On The Food Network
Food Network invites you to try this Molokai Sweet Potato Salad recipe from Emeril Lagasse and the episode entitled Hawaiian Barbecue Emeril Style.
- Hawaiian Potato Macaroni Salad Recipe
This double-carb dish sounded strange to me when I first saw it on the menu of a plate lunch cafe in Hawaii, but it has grown on me, and now it is one of my favorites.
- Hawaiian Surf Purple Potato Salad recipe
Hawaiian Surf Purple Potato Salad recipe: This beautiful salad is perfect for a summer beach party, picnic, or barbaque. The unusual colors, flavors, and textures will have everyone talking.
- Hawaiian Macaroni (And Potato) Salad - 170138 - Recipezaar
Can't have a plate lunch in Hawaii without this salad. Potatoes make it very hardy and the peas, carrots and olives give it a nice color. Best Foods or Hellmans Mayo is the only kind we use.
Potato Salad: Fifty Favorite Recipes by Barbara Lauterbach
We think of potato salad with picnics and summertime but Barbara Lauterbach’s book, Potato Salad: Fifty Favorite Recipes, will give you some new ideas about this salad. It features many recipes from the New Year’s Day Good Luck Salad to the Rosemary Orange Potato salad to the Stop and Go Italian Potato Salad and the Nicoise Potato Salad. This book includes hot and cold potato salads, celebrity salads from Marcella Hazan and Deborah Madison, and many valuable potato tips including the best types of potatoes for salads and recipes for boiling and steaming potatoes.
Potato Salad: 65 Recipes From Classic To Cool by Debbie Moose
Potato salad is just not good with your hamburger. With origins from Germany to Scandinavia to the United States, it comes in many varieties suitable for many different types of meals and great for serving all year long. This book, Potato Salad: 65 Recipes From Classic to Cool includes some favorite potato salad recipes and some international ones.Whether you like your potato salad creamy or chunky, mellow or tangy the 65 spectacular potato salad recipes in this book are bound to inspire you to try a new version. Recipes include the Farmer's Market, the Grilled Potato Salad, the Double Tater Salad, the German Warm Potato, the Tarragon-Lemon Potato Salad, the Tuscan Taters, the Spuds Step Out and even a one-dish meal called Spud Supper.
Totally Bamboo Big Kahuna Cutting Board
(This is one of the nicest I've ever seen!)
This cutting board is made of bamboo which means that it is a very hard cutting board made from a renewable resource and assembled in an environmentally wise manner. Manufactured by Totally Bamboo and beautifully designed this is really a heavy duty chopping block that will be perfect for preparing this potato salad and for any other job you require!
In his Amazon Customer Review, J. Dreier shares that he purchased these knives for his wife at Christmas time. He said he read hundreds of reviews and determined that the heavier or thicker the board the better review it received.
How do you prefer your potato salad?
Many More Potato Salad Recipes From Celebrity Cooks
- Martha Stewart's Potato Salad Recipe
Prepare for Memorial Day with this delicious side dish recipe that's sure to spruce up your barbecues and meals. Martha Stewart's Recipe From Perfect Your Picnic: Grilling Guide 2008 on The Today Show.
- Paula Deen's Warm Potato Salad Recipe From The Food Network
Food Network invites you to try this The Lady's Warm Potato Salad recipe from Paula Deen from Paula's Home Cooking Episode: Split BBQ.
- BBC Good Food's Classic Potato Salad
A classic potato salad to serve as a side, or as part of a buffet
- The Vegan Chef French Potato Salad
The home page for chef Beverly Lynn Bennett, featuring deliciously healthy and innovative vegan recipes, as well as a vegan message board. As a vegan, Beverly doesn't use any dairy products in any of her recipes, and they aren't missed at all.
- Julia Child's American-Style Potato Salad Recipe
Recipe for Julia's American-style potato salad from Julia and Jacques Cooking at home.
- All-American Potato Salad Recipe From Martha Stewart.com
Favorite recipes and video cooking tips from Martha Stewart on marthastewart.com including her All-American Potato Salad recipe.
Here's the question often hotly debated ~~ Will that be Miracle Whip or Helman's Mayonnaise for you?
More Great Recipes
- Complete Make-Ahead Summer Dinner Menu and Recipes
Summertime and the living is easy! Or maybe just easier with this complete summer dinner menu comprised mostly of recipes that can be made ahead! Some of them require quite a bit of work beforehand (potato salad generally does) but, on the day you...
- The Best-Ever Glazed Baked Ham Recipe
If you're looking for an easy to put together meal, consider a baked ham.
- The Best-Ever Marinated Snow Peas and Tomatoes Salad...
If you are looking for a very fresh, wonderfully nutritious, extremely delicious and boldly colorful salad, The Best-Ever Marinated Snow Peas and Tomatoes salad is the one for you. It is a simple salad or side dish, consisting of just eight...
- The Best-Ever Looneyspoons Garden Salad Recipe
Looking for a yummy low-fat salad recipe? This Looneyspoons recipe is nutritious and delicious!
- The Best-Ever Molded Rice Salad Recipe
If you are looking for a tasty, cold rice side dish, The Best-Ever Molded Rice Salad With Vegetables is ideal. It is a simple and satisfying make-ahead side dish, consisting of just seven ingredients -- including one and a half cups of your favorite.
- The Best-Ever Summer Salad Recipe Collection
There is nothing quite like a crisp and crunchy salad in the summertime...or a potato salad or a macaroni salad for that matter. On this page, please join us in our celebration of the magnificent summer salad. Here you will find links to a...
- The Best Salad Spinner Is The OXO Good Grips Spinner
Eating healthily is a little easier when you have great kitchen tools like this OXO salad spinner!
- The Best-Ever Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe
We've been eating this super delicious egg salad sandwich for almost twenty years. It is without question the best sandwich that we make and it is most definitely a family favorite. The recipe makes enough egg salad for two or three sandwiches but...
- The Best-Ever Hawaiian Potato Salad Recipe
Potato salad, made with this recipe, is one of my favorite things to eat in the summer.
© 2009 Treasures By Brenda