- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Seafood Recipes
Salmon Fillet Easy Herb Crusted Baked for Healthy Seafood Dinner
Salmon Fillet Baked with Herb Crust
Baked Salmon Fillet with Herb Crust
A succulent baked salmon fillet, when prepared well, can please the most discerning pallet as a fish of choice. Preparation and cooking method will determine how well your salmon fillet will turn out and be received by your guests.
If you need an idea for a quick and easy seafood dinner for your guests, this recipe is for you. Although salmon fillet can be expensive, buying a large cut of fillet is the most economical way to go, yielding enough to serve a small group. Serving baked salmon, paired with brown rice and steamed broccoli, is a win-win for you and your guests for these reasons:
- Easy recipe
- Quick Preparation
- Ready in under 30 minutes
- Healthy and delicious
- Pairing with broccoli and brown rice increases nutritional value of the meal
Health Benefits and Nutritional Value of Salmon
Salmon is one of the healthiest choices you can make for consuming fish. Brimming with omega-3 fatty acids, its nutritional value is far superior to most other fish. However, depending on you choice of farm-raised or wild salmon, nutritional value is debatable. This is primarily due to environmental differences between the two.
Controversial dietary and environmental influences affect the nutritional value of farm-raised salmon. The Environmental Protection Agency recommends eating less than 8 ounces of farm-raised salmon per month. In the end, most nutritionists would concede that, added to a regular diet, both farm-raised and wild salmon have the following health benefits and nutritional values:
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Enhanced cognitive functioning
- Lowered risk of several types of cancer
- Increased eye health
- Decreased levels of cardiovascular disease
- Increased hair and skin health
- Low in calories and fat
- High in protein and amino acids
- Very high in omega-3 fatty acids (aka essential fatty acids)
- High in Vitamin D (a 4oz serving contains the RDA of VitD, particularly wild)
- Vitamins B6 and B12
- Selenium, Niacin, Phosphorus, and Magnesium
Seasoning Combination is the Key to this Recipe
- About 2-1/2 to 3 lbs Whole Salmon Fillet, Farmed or Wild, scaled if skin on
- Garlic Powder 2 teaspoons
- Spike-Vegit Low Sodium All-Purpose Seasoning 2 teaspoons
- McCormick's All-Purpose Salt-Free Seasoning 1 to 2 teaspoons
- Sazon Packet (w/out annato) 1/4 envelope
- Cayenne Pepper less than 1/4 teaspoon
- Black Pepper less than 1/4 teaspoon
- Thyme leaves 1 teaspoon
- Sea Salt dash
- Dill Weed 1/2 teaspoon
- ReaLemon juice several squirts for rinsing salmon
- Pam Cooking Spray for baking dish
Salmon Fillet Seasoned and Ready to Bake
Preparing and Cooking Baked Salmon with Herb Crust
- After scaling (or buy without scales), rinse fish thoroughly with water, then lemon juice. Rinse again and pat dry with paper towels. Salmon with skin on increases nutritional value and adds to crisper edges and flavor. Add a few more minutes to cook time for skin-on salmon. Coat 12-inch shallow glass baking dish with cooking spray. Lay fillet into dish. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Sprinkle fillet generously with garlic powder, sea salt, Sazon, Vegit, ginger, cayenne pepper, and black pepper, shaking evenly over entire fillet. Adjust seasonings to your taste, particularly sodium.
- Season next with thyme leaves and McCormick's seasoning evenly over entire fillet. Shake dill weed down the center of the fillet. Spray entire fillet generously with squirts of butter spray covering well.
- Place salmon in preheated oven for 20 minutes (high heat and short cook time are the keys to preparing a juicy, tender salmon). Change setting to broil and add another 5 minutes to quickly brown and "crust" the salmon. Remove carefully from oven as salmon should be very hot and bubbly. Cut into 4 ounce servings (about 2-inches wide). Serve with steamed broccoli and brown rice (Uncle Ben's Instant Brown Rice is quick and very tasty).
Healthy Salmon Meal Paired with Broccoli and Brown Rice
Five Favorite Salmon Preparations
How do you like your salmon?
Baked Salmon as a Healthy Seafood Dinner
Information Source on Health Benefits of Salmon
- Salmon Nutrition Health Benefits Cooking Salmon Farmed vs Wild
Nutrition and health benefits of salmon, as well as issues around farmed vs wild salmon, how to prepare salmon, and salmon recipes.
© 2012 Janis Leslie Evans