- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Pasta Recipes
Healthier Baked Spasagna
Lasagna and Spaghetti in One!
We LOVE baked spasagna from Cheddar’s Restaurant. I mean, really love it. What's not to love after all? Spasgna is just like it sounds - spaghetti lasagna. Take spaghetti noodles, bake them into a lasagna pan with lots of yummy gooey cheese and wah-lah! Deliciousness on a plate. What I don’t love is the endless amounts of fat and calories that come right along with it. It's one of those things that I enjoy every bite while I'm eating it, but then the regret (and indigestion!!) hits hard later.
That's why I had to come up with something different. I had to create something that tasted just as good, good enough that my husband and kids would love it. It also had to be something I felt good about feeding my family. This meant less fat, less sodium, and of course fewer calories.
Check out the nutrition information below for the restaurant version of this family favorite dish, and then read on to see the healthified version that I've created. It's kid and husband approved!
Ouch… pretty rough looking at those numbers on paper… even more difficult thinking about putting that in your body!
Let me now present my healthier version of this family classic. You can see the huge difference below in the nutritional chart!
Healthier Baked Spasagna
|Serving size: 1/8th|
|Calories from Fat||144|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 16 g||25%|
|Carbohydrates 71 g||24%|
|Sugar 8 g|
|Protein 36 g||72%|
|Sodium 774 mg||32%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 1.5 lbs spaghetti noodles
- 6 Cups low fat italian cheese
- 8 oz. part skim ricotta cheese
- 8 oz. plain fat free yogurt
- 1 1/4 Cups fat free milk
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook spaghetti al dente according to package directions. Rinse under cold water and drain. Place in large mixing bowl.
- In another mixing bowl, stir together yogurt, ricotta, milk, 2 c. italian cheese, oregano, basil, garlic and salt.
- Add above cheese mixture to the spaghetti. Using hands, mix gently until spaghetti is evenly coated with mixture.
- Gently place spaghetti mixture into prepared dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and brown under broiler for 2 mins if desired.
- Remove from oven and place dish on cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Cut into eight squares and top with your favorite meat, marinara, or alfredo sauce.