- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes»
- Quick & Easy Healthy Foods
Healthy Apple Butter Mini Muffins
How did they taste?
Muffins often seem like a healthy breakfast or snack option but their large size and calorific ingredients can be less than healthy. Here is a recipe for some tasty muffins made with apple butter, chopped apples, molasses and Splenda to give a natural sweetness and tasty flavor. Made in mini size they make a great size and three of them will nearly equal a full sized muffin but with less calories than you'd usually find in a bakery muffin.
Apple butter gives a nice flavor but you can substitute applesauce instead. Also if you prefer refined sugar or a different sugar alternative to Splenda go ahead and use that instead, just keep in mind it will change the nutrition facts. Give these healthy apple butter mini muffins a try to see what you think.
- 3/4 Cup flour, all-purpose
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup bran cereal, (such as total)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 Cup fat free milk
- 1/4 Cup Splenda, or alternative
- 1/8 Cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 Tbs molasses
- 1/2 Cup apple, peeled and finely diced
- 1/4 Cup apple butter/ applesauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat 2, 12 cup mini muffin tins with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- Stir flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into a bowl. Mix in bran cereal.
- Whisk egg, milk, apple butter, sugar, oil and molasses in a large bowl until blended.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Add apples and stir until just combined.
- Divide batter between muffin cups and fill most of the way full. Bake for 10 minutes turning the pan halfway through if your oven doesn't cook evenly. Muffins should spring back when touched lightly. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from tin and storing.
|Serving size: 1 muffin|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Calories are based on original recipe using Splenda and apple butter. Using different ingredients or portions will result in different nutrition facts and caloric content. The fat content for this recipe has not been calculated.