- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Chicken Recipes
Healthy Baked Chicken Parmesan
This recipe has become one of my favorites for impressing guests. It is so simple and easy and yet when you plate, it looks beautiful. This recipe is healthier than standard chicken parmesan because of the whole wheat bread crumbs, skim milk, egg whites and that its baked instead of fried in oil. But this chicken parmesan has a great flavor and kick from the paprika so you won't miss the oil at all. To get the best results from baking you must pound out the chicken breast so they are even and about ½ inch thick. To help keep the mess down you can place the chicken under some plastic wrap as you pound it out.
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup skim milk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4-6 chicken breasts
- Marinara sauce
- Reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons shredded Parmesan
- non stick cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Place the bread slices into a food processor and process until they are reduced to fine crumbs. Lay the crumbs out evenly on a baking sheet and place them in the oven for 12 minutes until they are nice and toasted. Let them cool long enough to be handled. If you don't want to make your own bread crumbs then you can use store bought.
- Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees
- In a medium bowl combine the bread crumbs with the oregano, garlic powder, paprika, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- In another bowl whisk together the egg whites and skim milk until combined
- In a third bowl combine the flour and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Prepare your baking dish for the chicken by spraying it with non stick cooking spray
- I find it easier to make stations for the coating process. Starting from left to right I have the uncoated chicken, then the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, then the bread crumb mixture, and finally the non stick coated baking dish. I almost always still make a bit of a mess but with the station setup the mess is reduced.
- So now to coat the chicken breasts, its best to do one at a time. Take one chicken breast and dip it in the flour mixture to evenly coat it. Shake off any excess flour then dip it in the egg mixture. Once coated dip it in the bread crumb mixture until well coated. Now lay the chicken in the baking dish, and repeat with all the chicken breasts.
- Once all the chicken breasts and coated put them in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked and the bread crumbs are nice and brown.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and top it with the marinara sauce then the mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Return the chicken to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.
For serving suggestions I recommend the chicken parmesan be paired with whole wheat pasta and additional marinara sauce.