- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southern European Cuisine
Healthy Cooking - Greek Style Gyro Pita Sandwich
If you are interested in Greek food or more specifically pita sandwiches, then you should be more than satisfied with this beautiful recipe. This should fulfill your hunger and it's healthy at the same time so you dont have to worry too much about counting calories or gaining weight! These sandwiches only have 209 calories so that means in order to get the average 2000 calorie diet, you would have to eat 10 of them. These are perfect for losing weight and in general dieting!
Delicious lamb covered with vegetables and beautifully combined spices. All inside of a warm and toasted yet soft pita bread. Fulfilling just as much as it is healthy! This bread and meat combination is perfect for you and your family to gather around the table for your lunch, dinner, or maybe even breakfast! Be sure to create enough servings for all because this is so delicious you will probably end up wanting more and more.
- 1/2 pound lean boneless lamb or pork
- 2 pita bread rounds, halved crosswise
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons reduced calorie mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon dried dillweed
- nonstick spray coating
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced (2/3 cup)
- 1 small tomato, thinly sliced
- Partially freeze lamb or pork. Thinly slice across the grain into bite size strips. Set aside.
- Wrap pita halves in foil. Heat in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. In a small bowl combine yogurt, mayonnaise or salad dressing, and dillweed. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, spray a cold wok or skillet with nonstick spray coating; preheat over medium high heat.. Add lamb or pork, garlic, and onion powder; stir fry about 3 minutes or till the meat is tender. Remove wok or skillet from heat. Stir in 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Spread some of the yogurt mixture inside each warm pita half. Fill pita halves with meat mixture, cucumber slices, and tomato slices. Makes 4 servings.
209 calories, 18 g protein, 14 g carbohydrates, 8 g fat, 63 mg cholesterol, 221 mg sodium, 336 mg potassium.
Thanks for reading and good luck on your taste filled adventure!