15 Healthy Foods to Eat
Healthy eating is important for both you and me. Old and young people can all benefit from making smart buying decisions. Consider the ways in which food will affect your body and try out various foods. Every body is different and responds favorably or unfavorably to food. Experiment and keep track of your daily food intake. Note how you feel and develop a list of things you'd like to include in your daily diet. You can veer slightly off course on occasion, but consider whether certain foods are worth the risk of either health or weight problems.
Great products are available today that make eating fun, healthy and tasty, too. Try incorporating some of the products below into your meals, whether it is once a week or once a day these foods can help you maintain a greater health.
Milled flaxseed is created by finely grinding up whole flax seeds. By taking one or two tablespoons of flaxseed each day you can add a generous amount of fiber to your diet. Flaxseed is also known to help decrease the risk of health problems such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Try adding a tablespoon of flaxseed to a warm bowl of oatmeal in the morning.
- Mix some flaxseed into a cup of yogurt and add some blueberries.
- Add flaxseed into baked goods such as cookies. Check out my recipe for Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with Flaxseed.
Begin your morning with oatmeal and you will find yourself full and focused up until lunchtime. Oatmeal fills you up far better than a bowl of sugary cold cereal or a load of carb-filled bread.
- Have oatmeal for breakfast. Add a small dollop of honey if you desire some sweetener.
- Make the cookies mentioned above using oatmeal.
Fish oil pills are the latest nutritional fad. They are a dietary supplement supplying healthy doses of Omega 3's. Taken orally, fish oil pills help support a healthy heart and joints. They also may help with depression, anxiety and macular degeneration.
- Take up to three fish oil pills daily.
Most people take a multivitamin made specifically for them. Whether it's a formula for women or men, each one contains specific nutrients and vitamins necessary for your gender or age.
Vitamins A - Z are included in multivitamin supplements. Vitamins often included are vitamins A, C, D, E, K, B-12, Iron, Iodine, Magnesium, Zinc, Manganese and Potassium.
- Take one multivitamin daily which includes the recommended doses of various vitamins optimal for healthy bodies.
- Some people take their multivitamin at nighttime so in the morning the vitamin will be in their blood stream and they will feel more rested and rejuvenated.
Laminine is a dietary supplement. One to four capsules can be taken daily and can help turn back the time and decrease or eliminate various health problems. Laminine helps your body internally become healthier by giving back what has been lost.
Children have seemingly endless amounts of positivity and energy. Laminine holds the secret to reincorporating the nutrition back into the human body that has been lost years ago.
Laminine can help with fatigue, depression and anxiety and increase positivity, energy and focus.
Check out my Laminine website to learn more.
- Take 1-4 capsules daily.
Vitamin C tablets are handy to have in the house. Although fruits supply great doses of vitamin C, they often contain lots of sugar which will make recovery difficult.
Vitamin C tablets are a great form of medicine to take when fighting off sickness and to help your body recover fast.
- Take a vitamin C tablet daily.
Almond milk is all natural, great tasting, non-dairy beverage. It's rich in antioxidants and contains no cholesterol. Almond milk is made by taking pre-soaked almonds and blending them together with water. Best when served cold, almond milk is delicious and a great alternative for those with milk allergies or those who do not prefer the taste of regular milk.
Unsweetened, sweetened, plain, vanilla and chocolate almond milk varieties are available.
- Add a little almond milk in your oatmeal.
- Have a small cold class of almond milk with dessert.
- Do some baking. Many recipes allow you to substitute in with almond milk.
Newman's Own Diet Lemonade
Newman's Own is already an organic company offering great healthy options but wait, there's something new. Newman's Own Diet Lemonade hit shelves a few months ago and includes only a little bit of sugar. The majority of the sweetness is created by Stevia, the 100% all-natural alternative to sugar.
Additional sugar contributes to a whole slue of health problems and also contains additional calories. Stevia can be purchased and used in recipes to reduce or eliminate the sugar content and have you drinking a healthier beverage.
Try Newman's Own Diet Lemonade when you are needing a sweet drink that won't negatively effect your health.
- Have a glass of Newman's Diet Lemonade.
Herbal or Green Tea
Herbal or green teas offer many powerful health benefits, especially in caffeine-free tea varieties. Herbal and green teas are rich in antioxidants, good for skin and hair growth, and help maintain healthy cholesterol levels. Herbal teas are also used for remedying minor health concerns at home, such as migraine headaches.
- Drink a cup of green tea daily for overall health benefits.
- Have a cup of chamomile tea at night to help you relax.
Health food stores and select grocery stores carry many healthy options for dessert. Kashi Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies are full of oatmeal, seven whole grains and a touch of honey for sweetness. They are hearty and provide long-lasting energy.
- Pack an oatmeal chocolate cookie for a long hike to supply the strength needed to complete the climb.
- Have a healthy cookie for a light but satisfying dessert.
If you aren't fond of almond milk, perhaps you like plain almonds. Nuts are a great, healthy snack to have on hand. They contain the good fat that is helpful for the human body. Nuts give real energy where you won't experience a crashing downward spiral after consuming.
Keep an assortment of unsalted nuts on hand such the notorious walnuts, known for their brain food quality, almonds, peanuts or pistachios. Having trouble focusing mid-afternoon? Carry some nuts with you for an afternoon snack and you'll gain a second wind.
- Consume a handful of nuts as a snack.
- Take some with you for the ride home from work.
Whole Grain Pasta
Whole grain pasta is great for those who cannot eat white sugars. Whole grain pasta takes longer than white pasta to break down and convert to sugar. Make sure it's whole grain if you can, and not only part grain.
- Cook up a pot of whole grain pasta with dinner.
- Have some whole grain bread, too.
No-Salt Added Sauce
No salt added sauce still provides plenty of favor to meals. Francesco Rinaldi ranked well on the Phantom Gourmet, and ranks #1 in our house. The flavor is robust although there is no additional salt, the spices work together and everyone is happy.
- Add no-salt sauce to a pound of cooked ground beef for an easy spaghetti sauce.
- Make chicken parmigiana with a jar of Francesco's no-salt sauce.
Olive oil is high in Omega 3's and the go-to oil used in our house. It smells and tastes great, and in nominal (it can add pounds if you indulge too much) amounts is good for you, too.
- Add a few tablespoons of olive oil to a few cloves of minced garlic.
- Use olive oil for a light salad dressing.
- Add olive oil to your spaghetti sauce.
Whole Wheat Flour
When it comes time to do some baking, that's where your health can suffer, so make a smart choice with the right flour used. Use a pure unbleached whole-wheat flour.
- Make cookies with wheat flour.
- Make pancakes with whole wheat flour.
Healthy choices affect everyone, so eat well. Make wise buying decisions and incorporate good nutrition into your daily meals. Pay attention to your body's needs and how it responds to different foods. Cater to the needs and feed it well. Strive to make your body happy by avoiding foods that you don't react well to and artificial products. Make a daily effort to give your body something that will help it become stronger and maintain a greater health.
© emilybee, 2011-2012. All Rights Reserved.