Healthy Italian Recipes - Appetizers
Healthy Garden Fresh Bruschetta
Healthy Low Caloriel Brushetta Canape Recipe
Bruschetta is a delicious antipasto appetizer from central Italy that dates back to the 16th century. There are many variations of this delightful appetizer.
This dish is high in vitamin C, A and K, and it also contains lycopene, which is believed to guard against certain types of cancer.
Cooking Italian usually results in colorful, tasty food. This low-calorie appetizer is very attractive when served on a platter at a party.
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 14 slices French bread ¾” thick
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced (plum tomatoes work well also)
- ¼ cup of red onion
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh basil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 14 fresh basil leaves.
Rub the garlic clove over one side of each slice of bread. Place bread garlic side down on an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake at 350° for 5 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, oil, finely minced basil, salt, and pepper.
Spoon about 2 tbsp. onto each piece of toast with the garlic side up. You could sprinkle the canapé with a light amount of your favorite low-fat shredded cheese, usually mozzarella. Top each canapé with a basil leaf.
Yield is 14 servings. This dish only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish and it is well worth the effort.
Brushetta Instructional Video
Tartine with Lentils
Healthy Tartine with Lentils with Fresh Vegetables
- Italian sliced bread cut into canapé sized pieces
- 1 pound of brown lentils, dried
- Several broccoli florets
- 2 Grilled red peppers in extra virgin olive oil
- Toasted sunflower seeds
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp.extra-virgin olive oil
You can also roast fresh red peppers on the grill, over your gas cooktop, roasting red peppers deepens the flavor and removes the peppers skin, for some recipes that are enough in the oven under the broiler and get similar results,
Put the bag of lentils in water and overcook them until can mash them a little to make a slightly lumpy puree. Drain lentils. Add a little salt and olive oil before you let the lentils cool.
Use fresh broccoli florets (frozen will work if you can’t get fresh). Break up into small pieces. Fry them in pure virgin olive oil, adding a little salt, until they are soft and have a slightly fried look.
Cut grilled red peppers into thin strips.
Toast the sunflower seeds in a non-stick pan until golden.
Take out the canapé bread and spoon a layer of lentil puree on each piece, then put the broccoli florets on top and add the red pepper strips. Top with sunflower seeds and they are ready to be served.
Tartines with Peppers
Italian Pinwheels - Easy & Delicious Party Appetizer Recipe
Green Risotto with Fava Beans
- 1/2 pound fresh, unshelled fava beans
- 1/3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons and 1/2 teaspoon grated Reggiano Parmesan cheese
- salt to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, shell the favas and discard the pods. Boil the favas for 4 minutes, strain and then immediately plunge into ice water. Let cool for 2 minutes then pierce the favas and squeeze them out of their skins. Separate 3/4 of the favas and puree in a food processor.
- In a separate large saucepan bring the broth to a simmer, and keep it hot. Meanwhile, in another large saucepan over medium heat, melt 1.5 tablespoons of the butter and add the onions. Reduce the heat to low and cook for about 5 minutes; do not brown the onions. Add the rice and cook, while stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the wine, increase the heat to medium, and stir constantly. When the wine has been absorbed, add a little of the hot stock. Once the stock is absorbed, add a little more; repeat this process, stirring constantly, until the rice is cooked through.
- To the cooked rice add the pureed favas, the remaining 1.5 tablespoons of butter, the rest of the favas and the cheese. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the butter and cheese melt and the puree is incorporated evenly. Season with salt.
Summary of Healthy, Delicious Italian Food
These Italian appetizers and the risotto recipe are healthy and delicious. They all have healthy fresh vegetables and are fairly low calorie. They are perfect to serve at a party as they have a rather elegant look.
These recipes are simple and take very little time to prepare. Attractive food is always going to spark more interest from your guests.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.