Healthy And Hardy Mushroom And Barley Soup
There are few people on this planet who can make a barley and mushroom soup as delicious and healthy as this recipe. How about you become one of them? This soup is very filling and very good for you as well. Barley isn't something that people normally cook with, but it can be found at your local walmart or superstore. If you want, and you have the opportunity, maybe you could grow your own for your own home made mushroom and barley soup. It's delicious and can also be canned as well. Canned soup can last up to a year if you do it correctly to start with. Cook enough of this and it will last you for a long time. You wont have to cook for a while again! Maybe read some hubpage articles on how to can food? I believe that would be a great thing to do if you don't already know how.
Nice well cooked hot pot of mushrooms and barley together for one full flavorful soup. These ingredients are easy to get and delicious as well. Feed yourself and feed your family too! You will not regret trying this beautiful soup!
- 5 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2/3 cup quick cooking barley
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan bring beef broth to boiling. Stir in barley, onion, garlic, basil, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or till barley is nearly tender. Stir in mushrooms and carrot. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or more.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine cornstarch and water; stir into saucepan. Cook and stir till slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Sprinkle with parsley. Makes about 4 servings.
179 calories, 8 g protein, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 1090 mg sodium, 467 mg potassium.
Thanks for reading and good luck on your taste filled adventure!