Healthy Pumpkin Spice Muffins
These muffins make the whole house smell wonderful! With all of the health benefits of pumpkin in the news lately, I thought I should start using it more in my baking.
Pumpkin is one of the lowest calorie vegetables. 100 g fruit provides just 25 calories and does not contains any saturated fat or cholesterol. It is rich in fiber, anti-oxidant vitamins (A, C and E), and minerals. Pumpkin is often one of the food items recommended by dieticians for weight loss plans. Vitamin A helps prevent diseases such as macular degeneration and other eye diseases. Pumpkin is also a good source of B vitamins like folate and niacin. Niacin is useful in the reduction of cholesterol.
My kids help me make these, and the whole family eats them up! They freeze beautifully, but because they are moist, I recommend freezing them individually on a baking sheet, then transferring to a resealable bag once frozen so they don't turn into a big glob in the freezer! They reheat quickly in the microwave in about 45 seconds for a quick breakfast or snack.
Step by Step
- 3 cups All purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking powder
- 2 teaspoons Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, preferrably freshly ground
- 1/2 cup milk
- squeeze of lemon
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 and 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 can (15oz) pure pumpkin, not pie filling
- 2/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Add lemon to milk and let it sit on the counter until you are ready to use it.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- In another bowl, whisk 4 eggs, and add sugar. Whisk until combined. Add oil, pumpkin, water, and milk mixture, and whisk until smooth.
- Add wet to dry ingredients and stir with a spatula until just combined.
- Line two muffin tins with paper liners. Fill with batter.
- Bake 22-25 minutes, rotating pans halfway, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack. These freeze well. Freeze individually on bake sheet, then transfer to a resealable bag. Great for lunches, as they will thaw in the lunch bag. Can be heated in microwave for about 45 seconds for a quick snack.
- Best Banana Muffin Recipe
If you like muffins, take a look at these banana muffins, just like Grandma used to make. Very easy and tasty!