- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes»
- Quick & Easy Healthy Foods
Healthy Recipe for Tuscan Sausage and Penne Skillet Dinner
Did This Tickle Your Taste Buds?
Healthy Meals Need Not Break The Bank - Quick & Affordable? Yes.
My husband and I recently embarked on a concerted effort to eat healthy and reach our ideal weight goals. It seemed an easy thing to do, until we tried to implement the idea in our daily lives. Time constraints, jobs, multiple kids with multiple transportation needs, and other impositions of daily life were making it clear we needed recipes one could prepare quickly with items found in local markets. If you've cooked healthy, or followed any recipe for that matter, you know most chefs suggest ingredients that require regional or in some cases international travel to obtain. Or seek ingredients that cost a fortune and will be used once before reaching their expiration dates.
My goal in creating this dish was to use ingredients which are presently in most "cooking friendly" homes; and which cost very little to purchase. Additionally, because we do count calories - it had to be healthy and under 500 calories as a meal.
Something you need to understand about cooking, and about being an individual... taste is a personal matter. When cooking, if you want more of a spice or an ingredient, go ahead and add it into the mix. Cooking is like art, and Rembrandt never stuck to a recipe for his masterpieces, neither should you. Create, invent, be bold - trust yourself.
Friends, you have got to try this. It is splendidly flavorful and well worth the 30 minutes it took to create. Use this recipe to begin your latest culinary artwork, but make it your own and add things you and your loved ones enjoy.
Happy, healthy, eating.
The Final Product - Colorful and Yummy
How Long is This Going to Take?
What Do I Need to Make This Meal?
- 4 bun sized links Packaged Fully Cooked Turkey Sausage (looks like a big hot dog), Cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 3 cloves or about 2 Tbsp. Minced Garlic, Can be from jar or fresh
- 1 each Large size Red & Green Bell Pepper, Chopped or Diced
- 3 handfuls Fresh Spinach, Wash and Dry first
- 3 Tbsp. Dried Italian Seasoning, Add more to taste. You can substitute fresh basil, parsley, oregano if you have it
- 4 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. Balsamic Reduction, Optional - can sub balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 Tsp. Mrs Dash or salt/pepper, Add salt, pepper, and/or Mrs Dash to taste
- 4 Servings Cooked Penne Pasta, A serving is 3/4 cup Dry Pasta, so you need 3 cups dry pasta
So, How Does it All Go Together?
- Cook your pasta! This should be cooking while you prep and start cooking the rest of the ingredients. That way it is all set to use when you get to that step!
- Chop your peppers into reasonably bite sized pieces.
- Slice your Turkey Sausage into round pieces about 1/4 inch or so thick.
- Prepare your Garlic. If using fresh garlic, clean and mince it until you have around 3 Tbsp. If using minced in a jar - you're all set!
- In a 12 inch fairly deep skillet you need to heat your extra virgin olive oil over medium to medium high heat. Add Garlic and all the peppers. Cook until peppers begin to soften. Your kitchen will smell wonderful.
- Add the sliced sausage to the pan along with your Italian seasonings or fresh herbs and your salt and pepper or Mrs. Dash. Cook until sausage starts to show slight browning on the surfaces.
- Your pasta should be done by now, so drain it, and rinse it in cold water to stop it from cooking. Add the pasta to the Skillet and mix into the ingredients you have been cooking.
- Add the spinach, tossing or stirring until the spinach wilts. You may want a little more extra virgin olive oil at this point depending on how well coated the pasta has become. You can also add more seasonings to suit your taste.
- If you are using either balsamic option, add it now and toss or stir to incorporate.
- Serve warm. You will want to split the meal into 4 even portions to be sure about your calories.
- Well done! Now, sit down, relax and enjoy your amazing dinner.
Such a pretty dish.
Recipe by Karen Quinn - 2014. Nutritional info based on package information, and is estimated.
Tuscan Sausage Penne Skillet (1/4 of skillet)
|Serving size: 2 cups aprox.|
|Calories from Fat||180|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 20 g||31%|
|Saturated fat 4 g||20%|
|Unsaturated fat 10 g|
|Carbohydrates 41 g||14%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Fiber 6 g||24%|
|Protein 9 g||18%|
|Cholesterol 25 mg||8%|
|Sodium 364 mg||15%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|