Healthy Recipes: Baked Spaghetti Squash with Baby Spinach and Cheese
Are you on a quest to lose weight or are you changing your unhealthy lifestyle for a better quality of life? Trying to get your family to eat healthy?
Avoid fad diets and dive right into a happy, longer life by eating right and following healthy recipes like this one.
Baked Spaghetti Squash
My family has just discovered the tasty goodness of spaghetti squash. It is super delicious and nutritious! It doesn't taste quite like real spaghetti noodles, but it makes a decent healthy substitute if you are craving pasta dishes.
The first time we tried baked spaghetti squash we just tossed it with a light dashing of mozzarella cheese, salt and pepper, garlic salt, and onion powder but we have since extended our picky eating habits out to try new varieties.
Baked Spaghetti Squash with Baby Spinach and Cheese
Get Your Family Healthy with These Books!
Baked Spaghetti Squash with Baby Spinach and Cheese
This savory meal brings together a large baked spaghetti squash, baby spinach, and melted mozzarella cheese that will make your mouth water.
- 5-6 cups cooked spaghetti squash
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1 cup fat free, low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1-2 cups reduced fat (or partially skimmed milk variety) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/8 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
Have you ever eaten spaghetti squash?
Optional Ingredient Substitutions
- Use vegetable broth instead of low sodium, fat free chicken broth if you want a vegetarian dinner recipe.
- Instead of flour, use 2 tablespoons of cornstarch to make it a gluten free dinner recipe.
- Use Kraft or Sargento reduced fat, mild cheddar cheese if you want the kick of cheddar instead of mozzarella cheese.
Pyrex Baking Dishes for Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Cut spaghetti squash lengthwise into two halves. Remove the seed s and pulp with an ice cream scoop or large tablespoon; discard them or save seeds for roasting later.
- Brush the interior of the squash with oil and sprinkle lightly with garlic powder. Place spaghetti squash halves on a greased baking sheet, half side down.
- Bake about an 1 hour (to tender - rind can be pierced with fork). Remove from oven once tender; leave oven on at temperature.
- Scrape the strands of "spaghetti" from the inside of the squash until completely separated from the rind. Leave in the husk for now. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan at medium heat, melt butter and heat oil. Add minced onion and cook.
- After roughly 3 minutes, stir in flour. Lower heat to low and allow to cook, stirring consistently forming a pasty looking substance; about 2-3 minutes.
- Raise the heat to medium high and pour the fat free, low sodium chicken broth, and milk (I prefer 1% Neilson milk) into the saucepan and cook until it comes to a boil. Stir for about 3-4 minutes as the mixture thickens and becomes smooth; salt and pepper to taste.
- Removed the now thickened mixture from the heat and add in the mozzarella cheese; mix until melted. Add a little more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Mix in the cooked spaghetti squash and baby spinach thoroughly into the cheese mixture.
- Pour your creamy, cheesy mixture into a 9" x13" baking dish (Preferred brand: Pyrex baking dish) and sprinkle a dash of the mozzarella cheese over the top, followed by the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the top forms a light golden tone and the mixture is bubbly and hot. Enjoy!
All Warm and Bubbly! Time to Eat!
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||72|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 8 g||12%|
|Carbohydrates 16 g||5%|
|Sugar 7 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 10 g||20%|
|Sodium 278 mg||12%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Main Dish or Full Meal? You Decide!
Pair this awesome dish with a honey glazed chicken breast, and a corn on the cob or have it as a stand alone vegetarian dish; it is entirely up to you!
Family Recipe Books
Other Great Recipes
- Creative Chocolate Chip Cookie Ideas - Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar Recipe
Take the chocolate chip cookie to a whole new level with a chocolate chip cookie bar recipe. This super rich dessert is filled with chocolate morsels that melt in the mouth.
- Easter Egg Cake Pops Recipe
Spring is here and it's time to get out the candy sprinkles, pastel sugar and try this Easter egg cake pops recipe for the children to snack on while the adults hide eggs for the big Easter egg hunt.
- Healthy Recipes | Dinner for Two - Honey Italian Marinated Chicken Breast Recipe
Want a healthy dinner recipe that packs plenty of protein and is sweet and zesty? This honey Italian recipe is a skillet glazed, marinated chicken breast garnished with scallions that is delicious!
- St. Patrick's Day: Shamrock Green, Irish Sugar Cookie Recipe
These tasty green shamrock sugar cookies will be devoured quickly by your family and friends on St. Patrick's Day. Take some green sugar crystals and make the magic of the Emerald Isles come to life!
- Southern Slow Cooker: Chicken and Dumplings
Pair a bowl of dumplings with fresh corn on the cob and you'll have yourself a filling meal that can take you back to childhood, or warm you on a cold winters day.
- Southern Slow Cooker: Pasta Bowls - Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff Recipe
When you are in the mood for a hearty meal, but are pressed for time, just try slow cooker beef stroganoff! This recipe has taken the details out of the "from scratch" recipes from the south, but left in decent nutritional values. Set it and ...