- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes»
- Quick & Easy Healthy Foods
Roasted Garlic Potatoes & Beets Recipe
This healthy, colorful side dish works well with most any dinner and is easy to prepare. The sweet flavor from the beets pairs well with the potatoes, garlic and spices. This dish is also surprisingly low in sodium.
The health benefits of beets are numerous. Many nutrients are plentiful in this deeply-hued veggie including:
- Folic acid
- Vitamins A, B and C
Beets are also a source of betaine, a nutrient with anti-inflammatory properties as well as a substance used in treatments of depression. Color pigments in beets called betalains, offer both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Consumption of beets has been shown to lower blood pressure and may even prevent liver disease and some cancers, including colon cancer.
Can Beets Help You Run Faster?
You may have heard the hype about the how beet juice benefits athletic performance, but what about eating the actual vegetable? Well, according to a 2012 study done by researchers at Saint Louis University, eating beets can help you run faster.
In this study, eleven “moderately fit” runners were tested running 5 kilometers on a treadmill. Test subjects were given a placebo and then a 7 ounce serving of baked beets during two runs. Results showed that the runners took 41 seconds off their run times after eating the beets. The study found that the greatest benefits happened when beets were consumed 60 minutes before exercise.1
Seven Fun Beet Facts
- U.S. astronauts on Apollo 18 ate borscht soup (beet soup) with Russian astronauts from the Soyuz19 in space.
- Beets were used as an aphrodisiac during Roman times.
- Dwight from the hit television series “The Office” is a beet farmer, selling beets in his roadside stand.
- Beets are a traditional food eaten at Rosh Hashana.
- English Victorians used beets to dye their hair in the 19th century.
- When the British blocked shipments of cane sugar to France, Napoleon Bonaparte substituted beet sugar for cane sugar in his country.
- Beets can be used to make wine.
What About the Greens?
Beet greens pack a nice nutrition package of their own. A half cup serving of cooked beet greens provides 30 percent of your vitamin C needs for the day and 110 percent of your vitamin A daily needs. That same half cup also provides two grams of fiber and two grams of protein, all for just 19 calories.
The slightly bitter leaves make a great side dish by sautéing or microwaving, as you would for spinach or other greens. You can also toss them in stir-frys or salads. Find an easy sauté recipe for beet greens at the bottom of this article.
Roasted Garlic Potatoes & Beets Recipe
This healthy and easy recipe makes a great side dish for any meal! You can add other root vegetables to the mix if you want. Some good ones to try are carrots, sweet potatoes, and parsnips.
- 2 beets, greens trimmed and saved for recipe below or future recipe
- 1/2 pound potatoes, Yukon gold or fingerling
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons no-salt seasoning, (try Costco's Kirkland Signature organic no-salt seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and scrub beets and cut off the bottom stem and top greens, reserving greens for sautéing (see recipe below).
- Peel beets with a potato peeler or pairing knife and cut into ½ inch chunks.
- Wash potatoes, leaving skins on, cut into ½ inch chunks.
- Chop onion into inch long, wide slices.
- Place beets, potatoes, onions, garlic, olive oil, and seasoning in a large bowl and toss to coat.
- Spread contents of the bowl out onto the lined cookie sheet. Roast in the center or preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until potatoes and beets are soft.
|Serving size: 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Carbohydrates 18 g||6%|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Sodium 34 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Easy Beet Green Sauté Recipe
Use this quick and easy recipe for the beet greens for a second side dish or save the greens for a future stir-fry or salad.
- Beet greens from 2-3 beets, rinsed well, chopped coarsely
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- A dash or two of crushed red pepper flakes
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Splash or balsamic vinegar
- Heat skillet over medium-low heat, add oil and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add red pepper flakes and sauté for another minute.
- Add beet greens and sauté until wilted and desired tenderness.
- Move to a serving dish and toss with freshly ground pepper and balsamic vinegar.
1 "Want to Be Fast on Your Feet? Eat Beets!" How Beets Improve Running Performance from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Rev. Eleese Cunningham. N.p., Apr. 2013. Web. <http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=6442470253>.
"Beetroot." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 20 July 2014. Web. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beetroot>.
"Nutrition Facts for Beet Greens, Raw per 72g, And Analysis for Beet Greens, Cooked, Boiled, Drained, without Salt.” Conde Naste, 2014. Web. <http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2353/2>.
More Healthy Recipes
- Vegetarian Recipe | Light Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas
Enjoy this healthy and satisfying Mexican meal tonight! Learn about its nutritious star ingredient - sweet potatoes. Also how to make your own quick enchilada sauce to save a ton on sodium.
- Vegetarian Recipe | Light Eggplant Parmesan & Basic Low-Sodium Tomato Sauce
Not only is this classic Italian recipe light, it's also low in sodium. See how this Eggplant Parmesan measures up to the restaurant version nutritional scorecard.
- Vegetarian Recipe | Hearty & Healthy Minestrone Soup
This delicious, healthy and hearty soup uses fresh vegetables and keeps the sodium content low.
- Veggie Pizza Recipe | Whole Wheat Crust, Pizza Sauce...
Create your own pizza at home with recipes for a healthy whole wheat crust and a delicious low-sodium sauce. Vegetarian topping ideas are included!
- Black Bean Burger Recipe and Veggie Burger Review
Are veggie burgers healthy and tasty? Find the scoop in this review and learn to cook your own healthy, low-sodium veggie burger at home.
- Healthy Hummus Recipes | Spicy Black Bean & Traditional Chickpea
Try these two very different hummus recipes - one spicy, one traditional! Both are easy to make and super healthy.
- A Healthy Side Dish | Corn, Red Pepper & Black Bean Salad
Whip up this easy, low-sodium salad for your next BBQ or potluck! It's delicious and packs a nice nutrition punch with its black beans, red pepper and cilantro.
- How to Oven Roast Tomatoes & 7 Ways to Use Them
Oven roasted tomatoes are healthy and delicious! Follow these easy instructions using your home oven and get suggestions on how to use these gems in meals, appetizers or snacks!