- Food and Cooking»
- Food For Kids
Healthy Snack Recipes for Kids
Let's face it, trying to kids to eat healthy can sometimes be a major battle. Marketing companies create compelling imagery aimed directly at your child to get you to buy their products. Ever notice how the sweetened, sugary cereals are at the eye level of a two-year old at the grocery store? These kid friendly advertisements for processed, packaged and "convenient" food can create a daily struggle to get your child to eat the right types of foods. The best way to "arm" yourself? Find some healthy snack recipes for kids that are quick and easy and don't involve a lot of messiness in the kitchen!
Check out some of these yummy and fun-to-make recipes for kids.
How to Get Your Child to Eat Healthy Snacks
1.) Find recipes that they love.
2.) Engage them in the preparation of their food. If kids help prepare their own snack or meal, they will be more willing to try new flavors because they invested time into their creation. Not to mention, allowing kids to help in the kitchen will develop skills to help them follow and read directions, measure out ingredients and for younger children, develop important motor skills.
3.) Educate at a young age. It truly saddens me to see two year olds out in public drinking Mountain Dew; sugar is chemically addictive! If your child never has the chance to develop a sweet tooth, you'll have a much easier time introducing healthy foods during the most important time period of their life.
Turkey Pretzel Roll-Ups
These savory snacks are packed with protein and have great flavor. Not to mention, they're fun to make. Dip in honey mustard or another favorite dipping sauce.
- Sliced turkey
- Long pretzel rod sticks
- Honey mustard dipping sauce (see recipe below)
- Simply roll each pretzel rod in a slice or two of turkey.
- Dip one end of the turkey roll-up in the dressing.
- Serve upright in a medium sized tumbler for a fun presentation.
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce for Kids
This flavorful recipe can't get any simpler than this:
Combine: 1/3 cup of honey & 3/4 cup of dijon mustard.
Fruit Salad Recipe for Kids
Fruit salad is a great way to catch your child's attention. Bright vibrant colors and sweet, flavorful fruits are what makes fruit salad such a great snack or dessert for kids!
- 1 sliced banana
- 2 cups of sliced strawberries
- 1 cup of orange sections
- 2 cups of melon such as watermelon, honeydew, or cantaloupe
- 1 container of low-sugar or sugar free yogurt
- Optional: sunflower seeds and raisins
- Have your child help you wash and cut all of the fruit.
- Combine the fruit in a large mixing bowl.
- Serve the fruit salad and scoop a few tablespoons of yogurt on top.
- Optional: Sprinkle raisins and/or sunflower seeds for a great flavor.
- Variation - Coat the fruit in yogurt prior to serving for a creamier version.
Strawberries & Cream Rice Cakes
- Plain brown rice cakes
- low-fat cream cheese
- no-sugar added strawberry jam
Spread a thin layer of cream cheese, followed by the strawberry jam on top.
Other Healthy Snack Ideas for Kids
"Guacamole" and veggie sticks - Instead of putting onion and garlic in your guac, which might turn of young tastebuds, try simply pureeing the avocado and using that as a dip, instead.
Nut butter and apple slices - a classic! Core and slice an apple and serve with nut butter such as almond, cashew or peanut.
Meat & cheese roll-ups - Roll together your child's favorite meat and cheese, such as ham and swiss. Cut length-wise to make little pin wheels that taste great by themselves or in ranch dip.