- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes»
- Quick & Easy Healthy Foods
Breakfast Recipes: How to Make Instant Lentil Dosa (Adai Dosa)
Lentil Crepes(Lentil Dosa)
This crepe is popularly called as 'Adai Dosa'. You can make this crepe either for breakfast or for the evening snack. Lentils are nutrient dense and tasty too.
Though lentils tend to induce gas in the stomach, ginger and asafoetida are used in the recipe to avoid it. This crepe is mildly flavored and is spicy. You have to eat the crepe only when it is hot because it loses crunchiness when turns cold.
Health benefits of eating lentils:
Lentils are a good source of calcium, potassium, zinc, niacin, and vitamin K. They are especially rich in dietary fiber, lean protein, folate, and iron. As per Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports, eating plenty of nutrient-rich foods like lentils lower your risk of many serious medical issues. Lentils are low in calories and high in nutrients.
1.Lowers cholesterol: Lentils contain high levels of soluble fiber that help in reducing the blood cholesterol. Lowering cholesterol means keeping good heart health and preventing stroke.
2. Good for digestion: Insoluble fiber found in lentils help in preventing constipation and other digestive disorders like irritable bowel syndrome and diverticulosis.
3. Maintain blood sugar levels: The soluble fiber in lentils trap carbohydrates, slowing down the digestion and stabilizing the blood sugar levels. This can be a special help for those with diabetes, hypoglycemia, or with insulin resistance.
4. Heart health: Many studies have shown that eating of fiber-rich foods like lentils reduces the risk of heart disease. Lentils are also a great source of folate and magnesium which are good contributors for heart health. Folate lowers homocysteine level, a potential risk factor for heart disease. Magnesium improves blood flow, oxygen, and nutrients throughout the body. Thus keeping your heart happy!
5. A Major source of Protein: Lentils contain a good quantity of protein. 26% of lentils' calories are attributed to the protein which makes it a wonderful source of protein for vegetarians and vegans as well.
6. Weight Loss: Lentils are low in calories though they include all beneficial nutrients like fiber, protein, minerals and vitamins. They contain nearly zero fat. One cup of cooked lentils contain only 230 calories but makes you feel full and satisfied.
7. Boosts energy: Lentils help in releasing slow-burning energy due to its' fiber and complex carbohydrates. As they are a good source of iron, they transport oxygen throughout your body and this is the key to energy production and for a great metabolism.
- 1/2 cup (small cup) split chickpeas
- 1/2 cup (small cup) white raw rice
- 1/2 cup (small cup) split blackgram
- 1/4 cup (small cup) mung bean
- 1/4 cup (small cup) pigeon peas
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1-2 red chili, long one, dry
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 2 pinches asafoetida/hing powder, optional
- 1/6 cup (small cup) onion
- 1 rind curry leaves, or 8 leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- oil or butter, for making crepes
Step-By-Step Images and Instructions For Making Lentil Crepes(Adai Dosa)
- Take white raw rice, split black gram, split chickpea, pigeon pea, and mung beans in a bowl. Wash them together. Discard the water. Soak in fresh water for 4-5 hours. Add cumin seeds to it.
- Strain and separate the water. Grind the mix adding soaked water. Add red chili, chopped onion, asafoetida, curry leaves, ginger, and turmeric while grinding. Grind to get a near-smooth, and pouring consistency batter. Add salt. Mix well. Keep aside for resting. You can make crepes instantly. However, resting the batter for 2-3 hours gives good results.
- Add two tablespoons of finely chopped coriander/cilantro leaves(optional). Mix the batter. Adjust the consistency by adding more water if needed.
- Heat a crepe pan. Grease it with oil. Better to use a non-stick pan if you have one. Pour a ladle full of batter in the center. Spread it with the help of the ladle bottom, by moving it in the circular pattern till the edges. Refer the pic.
- Sprinkle a few drops of oil or butter on top. Fold it in half when it gets golden brown color. Place on a serving plate. Serve with coconut chutney or with honey. Honey is a good combination for the lentil crepe. Eat it when hot.
Nutritional Information of Lentil Dosa(Adai Dosa)
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 8 g||3%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 12 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|