- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Vegetable Ingredients
Hearty Lentil Stew Over Rice
Lentils are unequivocally the best of all legumes. High in fiber and protein, low in fat, quick cooking, and great-tasting, lentils are a staple of cuisines on every continent. We humans have been domesticating lentils for at least 10,000 years.
This hearty lentil stew, served on a bed of rice, is a wonderful warm-me-up meal for a cold winter day and a nice, easy throw-it-together recipe for a weeknight. It also makes a great leftover that is even more flavorful the next day.
This recipe is a cross between a lentil soup and a traditional Arabic mujaddara, creating a healthy vegetable dish that's best eaten with a fork rather than a spoon.
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup zucchini, mandolin-sliced and diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow lentils, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 2 Roma tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper, to taste
- 1 splash red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- Saute onions, garlic, carrots, bell peppers, and zucchini in olive oil on medium heat until onions turn clear.
- Add lentils. Saute for an additional minute, then add water, diced tomatoes, oregano, bay leaf, red wine and spices.
- Bring to a boil on high heat, then turn down to a simmer. Simmer covered for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until most of the water is absorbed. Add pepper and salt to taste as necessary.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!
- Lentil Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Lentils are added to sauteed onions, carrots and celery. Lots of crushed tomatoes and water are added, and the magic begins. An hour later the soup is thick and wonderful and ready for a bit of shredded fresh spinach and a splash of vinegar.
- Mujaddara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mujaddara (Arabic: مجدرة mujadarah) consists of cooked lentils together with groats, generally rice, and garnished with sautéed onions.