- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Hearty Mushroom Soup
Let me know what you think of this recipe
The ultimate comfort food
Soup is one of my all time favorite comfort foods. A nice slow simmered soup seems to ease away the stress of the day, cure whatever ails you, and warm you to the soul on a cold day. Below is my recipe for a quick and easy mushroom soup that will beat the stuff in a can any day.
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 to 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoon sherry
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 cup half and half
- Chop the mushrooms, onions, celery, and carrots. Make sure the pieces are of similar size to provide for an even cooking time.
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or your favorite soup pot. Saute the veggies in the olive oil until they begin to soften. Season the veggies with the thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the flour and let cook for 2 to 3 minutes to get rid of the raw taste.
- Add in the sherry and stir well, making sure to scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the pan (the brown bits are flavor!). Add the beef stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer and let the soup cook for 30 to 40 minutes.
- About 5 minutes before you are ready to serve add in the half and half and allow to warm through.
- Serve alongside your favorite crusty bread and enjoy.
Tip for cleaning mushrooms
The easiest way to clean mushrooms is to brush them with a damp towel. Washing them under running water will cause them to become water-logged and tough.
© 2015 Vicki Holder