What´s So Great About Hemp Oil? Four Reasons to Try Hemp Oil!
Hemp Seed Oil is Not Marijuana!
Hemp oil is a misunderstood super food, sometimes confused with the marijuana plant. It´s important to understand that hemp is not the same as cannabis, or the marijuana plant. The hemp that is used commercially for oil, seeds and protein powder is a different species of plant. Commercial hemp is as different from marijuana as a Chihuahua dog and a Great Dane.
Hemp doesn´t cause drug side effects because it contains extremely low levels of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the psychoactive component of marijuana that makes people high. Trace amounts of THC that are still present after the harvest are removed when the seeds are washed and pressed during the manufacturing process.
So if you are drug tested after consuming hemp products, no drug components will be found in your blood stream. Commercial hemp plants cannot be used to produce illegal drugs. The truth is that hemp oil is highly beneficial for humans, both internally and externally. It´s worth your time to take a look at hemp oil and what it has to offer.
1. Hemp Hearts & Hemp Powder are High in Protein
Hemp hearts are the seed with the shell removed. You can purchase them at Amazon or in local natural food stores. Shelled hempseed is packed with 33% pure digestible protein and is rich in iron, Vitamin E, omega-3s and GLA. Hemp protein comprises 66% high-quality edistin protein, which is the highest percentage from any plan source.
Three tablespoons of hemp hearts contain 13 grams of omega-3 fatty acids and 10 grams of complete, easy-to-digest protein, making them a great addition to a vegetarian diet. Sprinkle them over salads or your morning bowl of oatmeal. Toss them into granola, parfaits or desserts. You can purchase hemp protein powder with or without the fiber to add to your smoothies.
Hemp Nutritional Value
For nutritional and cosmetic uses, always buy cold pressed hemp oil. Unrefined hemp oil is nutty flavored and green in color. Did you know that cold-pressed hemp oil contains 25 times more Omega 3s than olive oil and half the saturated fat? It also had a higher content of Omega 3, 6 & 9 than any other culinary oil. Never cook with hemp oil. Since it has a low smoke point, any nutritional value is quickly destroyed. Instead, mix it up into a delicious salad dressing or blend with herbs to enjoy as a dip for crusty French bread.
2. Hemp Oil Reduces Inflammation and Balances Blood Sugar
Do you suffer from dry skin, dry eyes or dry mouth? You may be surprised that adding just two tablespoons of hemp oil to your diet maybe be enough to soften your skin and moisten your eyes. I´ve read many testimonies of hemp oil users who claim that it balanced out their blood sugar levels so much so that they could reduce use of diabetic medications. Others claim a practically miraculous boost of energy from hemp seeds, smoother and suppler skin and less issues with acne.
Try hemp hearts in the following granola bar recipe and find out what a delicious addition to your diet hemp can be.
Hemp Granola Bars
What is Coconut Palm Sugar?
Coconut palm sugar is low in the glycermic index, is high in nutrients such as magnesium, nitrogen, zinc, potassium and calcium and has 16 vital amino acids. Since it is low on the glycemic index, you won´t get the crash regular sugar will give you. Use it just as you would use regular sugar, 1:1 ratio.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, extra virgin
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup cashews, chopped
- 1/2 cup whole almonds
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup dried fruit, such as craisins, cherries, blueberries, etc.
- 1/3 cup raw sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, natural
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, extra virgin
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Lightly grease an 8x8 inch baking dish.
- Spoon coconut oil and honey into a microwave safe dish. Heat until melted; stir.
- In a large mixing bowl combine oats, almonds, cashews (not hemp hearts), cinnamon and salt. Pour butter mixture over oat mixture and stir until well combined.
- Spread granola in a thin layer over a baking sheet. Bake, stirring every 5-10 minutes, until golden brown, about 20 minutes. (Don´t overcook.)
- Stir in hemp hearts and dried fruit and cool completely.
- As granola is cooling, combine 1/3 cup raw sugar, 1/2 cup honey, 1/4 cup coconut oil and 1/2 cup peanut butter in a small saucepan or large Pyrex measuring cup. Heat on stovetop or in microwave until sugar has dissolved and mixture is boiling. Remove from heat and pour over cool granola, stirring well to coat.
- Press into prepared baking dish and let cool. While still slightly warm, cut into 1x3 inch bars and serve at room temperature.
- Bars may be kept in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Enjoy!
3. Hemp Oil Cures Rosacea, Dermatitis and Eczema
Hemp oil has been a miraculous addition to my beauty routine. I suffer from mild rosacea and have combination skin, which means that I can´t use any moisturizer that contains oil. The idea of moisturizing and cleansing with oils appealed to me, though, because of their affordability and absence of artificial ingredients. I tried many types of oil: jojoba, olive, coconut, castor, evening primrose, hazelnut, etc. My skin best tolerated hazelnut and jojoba oils, which are recommended for oily skin types. But after a few weeks of use, my skin rebelled and I couldn´t continue with the oil regimen.
Then I learned about hemp oil. What´s so special about this oil? It rates 0 on the comedogenic scale of oils, meaning it absolutely will not clog pores. It has anti-inflammatory properties and dramatically reduces redness caused by rosacea, psoriasis and eczema.
Because hemp oil has a ratio of 3:1 omega-3 EFAs, it perfectly matches the human skin. It will mix with your skin´s own sebum and make it thinner and less clogging. As a result, your pores will appear smaller. Hemp oil also reconstructs the epidermal lipids, strengthens the skin barrier and prevents moisture loss.
A few days after I added hemp oil in my beauty routine, my acne-like breakouts and redness reduced greatly. Within a month, I had no breakouts. This has continued for months. Now I no longer worry about the recurrence of my rosacea.
How to Add Hemp Oil to your Beauty Routine
My beauty regimen with hemp oil follows the basic principles of oil washing, but without the irritating and potentially damaging use of hot water and steam.
- Gently massage hemp oil into your skin for several minutes. Rinse with cool water and carefully wipe off any makeup.
- Gently massage more hemp oil into your skin. Use a gentle cleanser, such as Cetaphil or CeraVe, to completely remove all traces of dirt and grime. I prefer CeraVe because it effectively dissolves any remaining traces of makeup or dirt and has the added benefit of niacinamide.
- Rinse thoroughly in cool water and then apply a few drops of hemp oil to clean skin for extra moisturizing.
If you have dry skin, you will probably find that hemp oil isn´t moisturizing enough. In that case, you can moisturize with a few drops of avocado oil, apricot kernel oil or another oil appropriate for your skin type.
If you have acne-prone skin, you may opt to add a few drops of Tea Tree essential oil to the hemp oil for anti-bacterial benefits.
This regimen has miraculously cleared my skin. I rarely have breakouts and my skin is smooth and free of irritation and redness.
4. Hemp Oil Cures Seborrheic Dermatitis & Kills Demodex Mites
According to a study conducted in Finland in 2005, hemp oil helps alleviate dermatitis due to the balance of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids. Symptoms of skin dryness and itching significantly improved in dermatitis sufferers after using hemp seed oil for 20 weeks. Hemp is rich in vitamin D and also acts as a barrier in preventing moisture loss.
Seborrheic dermatitis causes inflammation of the scalp, itching or a crawling feeling, dryness, scaling and hair loss. It is thought to be caused by an overgrowth of bacteria or fungus and is very difficult to eradicate. Because hemp oil is so high in essential fatty acids and it has a perfect ratio of Omega 3s, it can be used in the treatment of dermatitis of the scalp. Although I don´t suffer from dermatitis, I have suffered from a dry scalp and hair loss. Since using hemp oil, I have notice an improvement in the health of my scalp and less hair loss. Just massage hemp oil into the scalp and leave it overnight. Shampoo in the morning. Try adding a few drop of tea tree oil to boost efficacy.
My dear neighbor, who also happens to be my friend and coworker, was recently diagnosed with a demodex mite infestation. Her dermatologist prescribed oral Ivermectin, with treatments two weeks apart. She noticed immediate improvement but, within a few weeks, the infestation had returned.
I told her about how much hemp seed oil had helped my rosacea. After doing research, she mixed 2 ounces of hemp seed oil with 10 drops of Tea tree oil, 1 drop of oregano oil and 1 drop of thyme oil. She followed my facial cleansing regimen and within a week was free of demodex mites. And she has stayed demodex mite free!
My husband always says there is no cure-all for every illness. And I agree. But I do believe that hemp oil will correct imbalances of the human skin and may even wipe out bacterial and fungal infections. Why not give it a try? Although everyone reacts differently to both natural and medical treatments, it won´t hurt to give it a shot.