- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Herb-tastic Scrambled Eggs with Basil and Oregano
Just because breakfast is the most important meal of the day does not mean it has to be the blandest meal of the day. This herb-tastic recipe for scrambled eggs is certain to put some flavor into your morning meal.
The blend of coriander, basil, and oregano give this breakfast staple some wonderful, aromatic flavors, while taking away the eggs' less-than-desirable "egginess." The dash of parmesan adds some wonderful umami to the dish, and the olive oil lets you pretend it's healthy. Fresh oregano and basil are preferred, but dried herbs work just as well.
Serve these delicious scrambled eggs with toast, coffee, and some old-school jazz for maximum morning enjoyment.
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 2 tbsp. parmesan, grated
- 1 tsp. oregano, fresh or dried
- 1 tsp. basil, fresh or dried
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 tsp. olive oil, for the pan
- Crack eggs into a small mixing bowl. If you're squeamish about the white icky bits stuck to the egg yolks (known as the chalaza), you can remove them. Pour in the milk and blend with a fork, mixing in the other ingredients one at a time.
- Add about 1 teaspoon olive oil to your non-stick skillet and bring it to medium heat. When olive oil is hot and runny, pour in the egg mixture.
- Gently fold the curdling egg mixture with a spatula until the egg mixture no longer looks liquidy. Serve immediately to prevent overcooking.
This very basic herb-tastic scrambled egg recipe lends itself to a near-infinite number of customizations and variations. A bit of thyme or finely-chopped fresh rosemary could work very nicely as an addition. Some sun-dried tomato or chopped black olive add color and flavor as well. Those looking for a bit more kick can even add some cayenne pepper or pickled jalapeño pepper.
Herb-tastic scrambled eggs are a blank canvas for culinary experimentation, guaranteeing that your eggs will never again be dull.