- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
High Fiber Fruits and Vegetables List
What is fiber?
Fiber is a substance found in plant foods such as fruits, vegetables and grains. The two types of fiber include soluble fiber and insoluble fiber. Examples of foods rich in soluble fiber include oat bran, vegetables, brown rice, fruits and nuts. Examples of foods rich in insoluble fiber are whole grain breads, cereals and wheat bran.
Health benefits of high fiber fruits and vegetables:
- Fiber improves bowel function
- Helps to lower cholesterol levels
- Helps healthy weight management
- Helps to lower triglycerides
- Reduces the risk of colon cancer
- Helps to relieve constipation and hemorrhoids
Helps to prevent certain diseases.
How to increase fiber intake?
There are many ways to increase dietary fiber:
- Use fresh fruits as desserts and snacks
- Leave fiber skins on fruits and vegetabels when possible
- Raw veggies and fruits have more fiber
Include grain products and legumes in your diet.
High fiber foods:
High fiber fruits list:
Some of the high fiber fruits include avocado, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, cherries, plums, pears, apples, kiwi fruit, guava, and banana.
This is a list of high fiber fruits:
- Red grapes
High fiber dried fruits:
High fiber dried fruits include figs, apricots and dates. Others fruits include raisins and prunes.
1. Figs: Dried figs are high in carbs and great source of calcium, fiber, protein and potassium
2. Apricot: Apricots are good source of beta carotenare, potassium and fiber.
3. Dates: Dates are good source of fiber, iron and niacin.
4. Prunes: Prunes are high in fiber, protein, potassium, vitamin A, Vitamin E, calcium and iron.
5. Raisins: Raisins are high in fiber and iron and also high in calories and sugar.
High fiber vegetables list:
High fiber vegetables incude green peas, broccoli, brussels sprouts, sweet corn, beet root, potato with skin and carrots. Green vegeatbles rich in fiber include spinach, beet greens, kale, collards, Swiss chard and turnip greens.
This is a list of vegetables rich in fiber:
- Greens - collard greens, kale and turnip greens
- Potatao with skin
- Brussel sprouts
- Peas - black eyed and green peas
- Sweet potatoes
- Beet root
- Sweet corn
High fiber legumes and nuts:
Legumes: Some of the high fiber legumes include baked beans, kidney beans, split peas, dried limas, garbanzos, green beans, snap beans, pole beans, lima beans, pinto, lentils and black beans. Other include green peas and dried beans.
This is a list of high fiber legumes and nuts:
Lentils 1 cup cooked - 15.6 grams fiber
Black beans 1 cup cooked - 15.0 grams fiber
Lima beans 1 cup cooked - 13.2 grams fiber
Baked beans 1 cup cooked - 10.4 grams fiber
Split beas 1 cup cooked - 16.3 grams fiber
Almonds 1 ounce - 3.5 grams fiber
Pistachios 1 ounce - 2.9 grams fiber
Pecans 1 ounce - 2.7 grams fiber