A Rose Recipe: How to Make an Easy Hamburger Hobo Stew in Oven Using Tin Foil
Hobo Stew for You?
No hobos were harmed in the making of this recipe
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 45 min
- Ready in: 1 hour 5 min
- Yields: 4 Servings
Cooking with kids....
is not just about ingredients, recipes, and cooking. It's about harnessing imagination, empowerment, and creativity.
My Fitness Pal - Calorie Tracker
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||117|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 13 g||20%|
|Carbohydrates 29 g||10%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Protein 33 g||66%|
|Sodium 69 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 1 LB Hamburger, opt. pre-formed patties
- 4 potatoes, washed and diced
- 1/2 LB Baby Carrots, washed
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 8 Sheets Tin Foil, 12 inches long
- Lay the hamburger patty on a sheet of aluminum foil, over the top set the diced onion, carrots, and potatoes. Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Wrap in foil and then wrap in a second piece of foil and set on a cookie sheet. Continue until all servings are complete. Set in oven at 425 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Take out of oven and check potatoes for firmness with a fork (too firm and it is not cooked all the way and they will need to be put back into the oven).
Tips and Tricks
- Many times, I will make this with extra servings to take to lunch for the rest of the week. Because of this one of my favorite things to do is to change the spices of each of the servings. I might use Mrs. Dash seasonings on a few, season salt and garlic on a few, and so on.
- Using premixed seasonings from the seasoning aisle is a great way to add flavor for cheap and simple seasoning without guessing at the final taste.
- I love to add other veggies to this, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Celery and Zucchini taste so good this way!
- When making more then one serving, I use a sharpie to label the tin foil since some members of the family may not appreciate my love of garlic and broccoli as much as I do.
- You can use Chicken Breast, Turkey Burger, or Sausage Patties instead of Hamburger!
- Get your children involved, there is very little cutting with knives for this recipe and they will love the chance to help out.
But why is it called Hobo Stew?
- The Flight Nun: Marcy's Travel Blog- The Story Behind "Hobo Stew"!
I love this story about the "Hobo Stew"!