- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
My Green Bean Casserole
Classic Green Bean Casserole for Holiday Get Togethers
No matter what the holiday or event, you can't go wrong with a good green bean casserole. My first experience with this wonderful dish was at Thanksgiving one year. That has traditionally been the holiday that our family ate this tasty side dish. I have since come to find out that this recipe is much sought after many times throughout the year, for different holidays.
Be it Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, New Years Day or Eve, or any time, you can't go wrong with a good green bean casserole. It is just a nice to side vegetable dish that goes well with so many different things. I hope you enjoy this recipe.
Holiday Green Bean Casserole Recipe
First, Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Two cups of sliced fresh green beans
One third stick of butter (I prefer butter over margarine here.)
One half cup of diced onions
One half cup of sliced fresh mushrooms
Three cups of chicken broth
One can, cream of mushroom soup (a 10 and 3/4 ounce can)
Two Cans of French's French fried onion rings, or whatever your favorite french fried onions are your favorite. (You will only use one and a half cans, and have some left over.)
One cup of grated cheddar cheese
Dashes of Kosher or Sea salt, cracked black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.
If you have fresh garlic, mince that and omit the garlic powder above.
Fresh herbs that you can add would be rosemary, thyme and chives.
*I LOVE to add in fresh herbs, even just a little, for they add so much flavor and many have so many extra health benefits. You can't go wrong.
1. In a large skillet, melt your butter first, and saute your fresh onions and mushrooms. (Add garlic in if you have it, just before you finalize your onions and mushrooms. You don't want to overcook it.)
2. Boil your fresh green beans in the chicken broth for about ten minutes. Drain.
3. Add your green beans, the mushroom soup, 1 can of the french fried onions and seasonings to the sauteed onion mixture. Stir well.
4. Pour all except one can of french fried onions and cheee into a greased (I spray with nonstick cooking spray) one and a half quart baking dish. Bake this at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Then put on a combination of cheese and one quarter to one half can of the french fried onions on top and bake for ten minutes longer. Keep an eye on it, if close to the heating source in oven.
The cheese should be melted on top.
**If you want an incredible addition to your green bean casserole, consider adding some fresh shallots to the onion mixture. Saute with the onions, and they bring an added element that we love in our family.