Home Made Flour Tortillas
There's nothing like the smell of a fresh, warm, flour tortilla on your plate. Of course, it's a little more work to make home made tortillas opposed to getting them off the grocery store shelf but it's not as hard as it looks. This is a wonderful family recipe that will complement any Mexican meal. To create flour tortilla chips just cut your tortillas into triangles before cooking and fry in a frying pan with oil.
- 8 Cups flour
- 2 tsp baking power
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp crisco
- 4 Cup warm water
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, 1 tsp crisco and water until it becomes doughy.
- Knead the dough
- Add another tsp of crisco and break dough into roughly equal sections.
- Roll the dough sections into balls and press flat. Use a rolling pin to spread the dough until it is about 1-1/2 inch thick. (use extra flour to keep dough from sticking)
- Warm tortillas on a flat pan, flipping them over every once and a while to cook evenly until dough is firm and slightly browned.
- Store in a cool dry place or the refrigerator to last longer.