- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Homemade Burnt Almond Cake Recipe
A year or so ago I decided to make my brother a cake for his birthday. Out of all the cooking and baking I’ve done, I’ve never actually made a cake before (pies, cookies, cheesecake, etc. but no cakes). The previous year, my sister-in-law said he’d like a Burnt Almond Cake, but we didn’t order it in time so we had to get a carrot cake (which she hated). So I though this time I’d make a burnt almond cake. It took me three days to figure out how to make one and it turned out quite well. So I thought I’d share my homemade burnt almond cake recipe (I have made a few additions and changes; namely the whole wheat four and the almond extract). Cheers!
2 9-inch springform pans
3 ½ cups whole wheat Flour
Butter flavored cooking spray (for spraying/greasing pans)
2 cups Sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
½ cup milk
½ cup heavy cream
4 teaspoons Baking soda
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 teaspoon Almond extract
½ teaspoon salt
Burnt almond frosting ingredients:
2 cups raw almonds
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
32 oz. cream cheese
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
2-4 cups powdered sugar (to preference)
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F
2. Sift all the flour, salt and baking soda together.
3. In a standing mixer, whisk butter until light and fluffy.
4. Add sugar and mix.
5. Add flour in three parts and mix.
6. Add vanilla and almond extract and mix.
7. Add milk and cream and mix.
8. Add eggs and mix until all ingredients are blended smooth.
9. Spray each cake pan with butter-flavored spray.
10. Fill equally each of the two pans, and bake for 25-30 minutes (or more until a toothpick comes out clean from inserted in the middle of the cakes).
11. Let cakes cool on a wire rack while you make burnt almond icing.
1. Place almonds on a baking dish and Toast in a 375 degree f oven for 20-25 minutes.
2. Remove almonds from oven and let cool.
3. When cool, crush almonds, either in a plastic bag with a mallet, or in a food processor.
4. In a standing mixer beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla and almond extracts until well blended.
5. Add powdered sugar one cup at a times and mix until fully combined. (Add as much or as little sugar as desired to your preferred tastes.) Add a little cream if frosting gets too thick.
6. Add crushed almond and mix into frosting until fully combined.
Putting Burnt Almond Cake together:
1. Cut the top of one of the cakes until completely flat.
2. Spread a large spoonful of frosting onto the top of the cakes and spread evenly.
3. Place the other cake on top of the other.
4. Spread the remaining frost on the top and the sides of the cake until complete frosted.
5. Refrigerate in a large airtight cake container (so frosting doesn’t dry out) or serve immediately.
More dessert recipes by Edgar Arkham
- Homemade Chewy Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies Re...
Here's a recipe for chewy whole wheat chocolate chip cookies. Enjoy!
- Homemade Sugar Cookies and Frosting Recipe
Here is a recipe for sugar cookies and frosting. Enjoy!
- Simple and Easy Apple Pie Recipe
Here is a recipe for a simple and delicious homemade apple pie. Enjoy!
- Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
Here is a recipe for homemade Vanilla Ice Cream. Enjoy!
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Recipe
Here is a recipe for a peanut butter cheesecake with chocolate chips and a chocolate topping. Enjoy!
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream Recipe
Here is a recipe for peanut butter ice cream. it's one of my favorites. Enjoy!
- Three Homemade Ice Cream Recipes
I love making homemade ice cream. I thought I would share some of my personal recipes and see if you like them as much as I do.
- Lemon Cream Pie with Shortbread Crust Recipe
Here's a recipe for a lemon cream pie with a shortbread crust. Enjoy!
- Chocolate Cheesecake With Chocolate Graham Cracker C...
This is my recipe for a chocolate cheesecake. Enjoy!