Homemade Burrito Recipe
Growing up, we always had homemade tacos (without the hard taco shell, they were more or less burritos), and I still make them about once a week today. Now, I know that there’s no huge culinary secret to making your own (I know most people who make them at home have their own ways and ingredients), but I thought I’d share the way I like to make them. Of course, you can always get one from a restaurant or food truck, but if you get the right stuff it’s a bit cheaper than going out for one.
1 lb. ground beef
1 large yellow onion
1 package of Taco seasoning
1 Large flour tortilla (or whole wheat tortilla)
1 can black beans (or refried beans), heated to directions (use ¼ cup for the burrito)
1 box of Rice (Spanish/Mexican), cooked to directions (use ¼ cup for the burrito)
Shredded lettuce, about a hand full
Salsa, ¼ cup
Avocado/guacamole, ¼ cup
Sour cream, ¼ cup
Tabasco sauce, 1 tablespoon (or more if you like it spicy)
Shredded cheese (cheddar/Mexican blend), about a hand full
1 tomato, diced with the membrane removed (use about a hand full for the burrito)
1. Half the yellow onion, and dice one half.
2. Slice the other half of the onion and cook in a frying pan with the ground beef over medium heat.
3. When meat and onions are fully cooked, add taco seasoning and cook to the packages instructions. (Usually for 5 minutes with ¼ cup of water)
4. When finished remove meat from pan and leave some of the grease in the pan.
5. Heat/fry the large tortillas in the grease from 30 second until warm a slightly browned.
6. Removed tortillas.
7. Add/fill into the warm tortilla the following layers of ingredients: The cooked meat and onions, cheese, beans, rice, sour cream, lettuce, avocado/ guacamole, diced onions, salsa, Tabasco sauce, and diced tomatoes.
8. Wrap up filling in the tortilla, serve immediately.
NOTE: You don’t have to make a HUGE one; you can always make many smaller ones using standard sized tortilla—This is just my way of making a giant-sized, fully-loaded burrito.)
More recipes by Edgar Arkham
- Chicken Tamale Pie
This is my version of one of my father's mexican food recipes. I changed some ingredients to make it less heavy and fatty. Enjoy.
- Easy Homemade Lasagna
Here is a recipe for homemade lasagna using some ground meat and sausage. Enjoy!
- How to Make Homemade Goulash With Pasta
This is a recipe that my mother used to make. It's a meat and pasta
- Tilapia with White Rice Recipe
Here is a quick and simple recipe for tilapia with rice. It's a healthy white fish with great flavor. Enjoy!
- Simple And Easy Homemade Potato Salad
This is my mother's recipe for potato salad, and it is far better than anything bought at the store. Enjoy.
- How to Make The Perfect Chicken Dinner
Dinner can seem difficult, but here is a recipe for a chicken dinner that is easy and delicious. Enjoy!