Homemade Cabbage Rolls
I never had a taste for cabbage rolls before I had them homemade. This recipe is very simple and easy and great for a Sunday lunch or just about any time. I use both lamb and turkey for these but you can just use one or the other, even ground beef or sausage. Also they’re great served with sour cream and some tabasco sauce.
1 large head of Napa Cabbage
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
½ lb. ground lamb
½ lb. ground turkey
1 egg, beaten
1 cup cooked white Rice
1 tsp. Marjoram
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. oregano
8-10 ounces tomato sauce
Sour cream (optional)
Tabasco sauce (optional)
1. In a large pan over medium-low heat, sauté onion, garlic with olive oil for 5-8 minutes until translucent. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool down.
2. In a large bowl mix together rice, egg, onion, garlic, turkey, lamb, salt, pepper, oregano, and marjoram.
3. Pre-heat oven to 350 degree f.
4. Boil cabbage in a large pot of boiling water until leaves are soft and flexible. Remove leaves one a time.
5. Fill each leaf with a tablespoon of meat and rice mixture and roll up folding in the sides
6. Place filled cabbage roll in a greased 8x12 baking dish. Fit each roll tightly against each other.
7. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
8. After one hour uncover and pour tomato sauce over cabbage rolls and bake for another 45 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes.
10. Serve with sour cream and tabasco sauce if desired.