- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Chicken Recipes
Homemade Chicken Cordon Bleu
Chicken Cordon Bleu is a delicious classic dish that is super easy to make. This is one of the first dishes I ever made as a married women and my husband loves it. My twist on this classic is sure to please your whole family too.
My addition of the honey nut cheerios adds a nice sweetness and texture that you won't get from using traditional bread crumbs. I love this recipe, because you can always add your own ingredients to please your palette and it's cheaper than going to a fine dining establishment.
This Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe is filling on its own, however it also pairs nicely with a side of green vegetables like broccoli or green beans seasoned with lemon zest.
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 4 Slices Black Forest Ham, (Deli)
- 4 Slices Cheddar Jack/Provolone Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 2-3 Cups Honey Nut Cheerios
- To Taste: Thyme, Salt, Pepper, and Garlic
Larger chicken breasts are easier to roll. They can also be cut in half making them thinner and easier to pound out.
- Lay the chicken on a cutting board and pound with a meat mallet (an ice cream scoop works if you don't have one) to 1/4 in. Season chicken with spices.
- Lay 1 slice of ham over chicken and top with cheese.
- Roll the chicken up (you can tuck in sides before rolling if desired). Use a toothpick to keep the roll together.
- Crush honey nut cheerios and season with salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Mix up the egg wash and add desired seasonings.
- Dip chicken in egg wash and coat with cheerio crumb mixture.
- Place chicken in a greased baking pan and cook in a 350 degree preheated oven, for 25-30 mins or until browned and cooked through.
My Chicken Cordon Bleu is moist and delicious without a sauce, however a simple mushroom or Hollandaise sauce would complement this dish nicely.
Whether you are looking for a date night recipe or a meal the whole family will love, dine in and enjoy this homemade Chicken Cordon Bleu tonight.
© 2013 Cholee Clay