- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Homemade Chicken, Sausage and Shrimp Stew Recipe
A long time ago, I wanted to try my hand at making a stew (this was one of my first attempts at creating a dish). I decided I would make a stew/soup/gumbo using sausage and left over chicken. I added some canned shrimp just to see how it all would work together. The first attempt wasn’t a success, but I worked with the recipe and added some other ingredients and I finally got something I was happy with. With this recipe you can use precooked chicken (either cook the chicken beforehand or use some store bought fully cooked chicken stripes. The store bought ones are a time saver). Also you can use fully cooked sausages as well; I usually do.
1 lb. cooked chicken, cut 1 inch cubes
1 lb. sausage links, cut on the bias into ½ inch medallions
1 lb. popcorn shrimp, freshly washed
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 yellows bell pepper, diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
2 carrots, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
1 red onion, diced
2 cans diced tomatoes, diced
6 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon Pepper
1 teaspoon Marjoram
1 teaspoon Oregano
1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence (optional)
Teaspoon salt (optional)
1. In a large cooking pot over medium high heat, cook the sausage medallions until browned.
2. Remove sausage leaving behind the oil from the pork.
3. Sprinkle onion, peppers, carrots, celery and garlic with herbs and spices.
4. Sautee the onion, peppers, carrots, celery, and garlic until translucent, about 8 minutes.
5. Add the canned tomatoes, broth, shrimp and cooked chicken.
6. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to simmer and cook for 30 minutes, until shrimp is pink and cooked.
7. Let cool for 15-20 minutes before serving.
8. Serve with cooked rice, sour cream, and green onions if desired.