- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Soup Recipes
Homemade Chicken and Bean Soup Recipe
Every once in a while I go through my cupboard and refrigerator to see what I can use up. I always like to use the canned stuff because most people I know tend to forget about the canned beans and vegetables. They like they’ll last forever and sadly they don’t. So I usually make a soup or stew or something along those lines to use up the stuff before I have to throw it out. This is a recipe for Chicken and Bean Soup I threw together not so long ago. You can use white beans or even kidney beans if you like them.
1 lb. Skinless, Boneless Chicken breast
1/8 tablespoon Salt
1/8 tablespoon Pepper
2 cups Carrots, diced
2 cups Celery, diced
2 cups, Red Onion, diced
6 cloves Garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. rosemary
1 tsp. sage
1 tsp. oregano
1 (14 oz.) can Diced tomatoes
3 (14 oz.) cans Chicken broth
1 (15 oz.) can White or Kidney beans
1. Cut the chicken breast into 1-inch pieces.
2. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
3. In a large cooking pot, over medium-high heat, cook the chicken (about 8 minutes).
4. Remove chicken pieces and leave juice behind in pot.
5. Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, sage, and oregano.
6. Sautee until translucent (about 5 minutes).
7. Add chicken back into pot (with any juices).
8. Add canned tomatoes, broth, and white beans.
9. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer and cook for one and half (1 ½) hours.
10. Remove from heat and let cool for 20 minutes before serving.
11. Serve with garlic bread if desired.