- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Homemade Steel Cut Oat Scones with Chocolate Chips
The scones that you buy at the store or coffee house can be as hard as a rock and tasteless. Here is a recipe for chocolate steel cut oat scones that is easy and they taste wonderful. The steel cut oats add a bit of crunchy texture and the chocolate adds sweetness. I've also added a recipe for making sweetened cream cheese. I've had a sweet cream spread on buscuits before that was something between cake frosting and cream cheese, but I never knew what it was. So I came up with my own version.
1 cup steel cut oats *
1 cup milk (room temp)
½ cup oatmeal, ground to a powder
½ cup Whole wheat flour
¼ all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1/3 cup chocolate chips
4 tablespoons of butter, cut into pieces
(Sugar for topping, optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees f.
2. Toast oats for 20 minutes.
3. Soak oats in milk for 30—45 minutes. (The longer, the softer the oats will be.)
4. Mix flours, soda, sugar, baking powder, salt and chocolate chips.
5. Set oven to 400 degrees f.
6. In a standing mixer, combine flour mixture and butter and blend together.
7. Add oats with the milk to the batter, and mix together.
8. When well incorporated separate dough into 8 equal wedges.
9. Sprinkle with sugar.
10. Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 15-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
11. Serve with sweetened cream cheese. (direction to follow)
Sweetened cream cheese:
1. 16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2. 2—4 ounces superfine white sugar
3. In a mixing bowl, using a fork or a strong whisk, whip together cream and sugar. (Add sugar a little at a time and taste to reach the sweetness desired.)
*NOTE: Remember that steel cut oats take a long time to cook on the stove (25 minutes or so). They can be very tough and gritty, so cooking them a long time will soften them. In this recipe, you soak them in milk for 30-45 minutes. The longer you soak them the softer they will be. The first time I made these I only soaked they for 20 minutes and they were still VERY tough. So soak them as long as you like to get the texture you prefer.
Other Recipes By Edgar Arkham
- Chocolate Cheesecake With Chocolate Graham Cracker C...
This is my recipe for a chocolate cheesecake. Enjoy!
- Homemade Sugar Cookies and Frosting Recipe
Here is a recipe for sugar cookies and frosting. Enjoy!
- Homemade Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
This is my recipe for whole wheat oatmeal cookies with dark chocolate chips. They're more healthy than plain cookies and taste great. Enjoy!
- Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Here is a recipe for delicious whole wheat chocolate chip pancakes; Healthy and tasty. Enjoy!