- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Homemade Coffee Crumble Coffee Cake Recipe
Do you prefer Coffee Cake or Tea Bread?
Coffee cakes and tea breads are standard additions to English tea time and American brunch (and for almost any other occasion that calls for a little snack). In American, we tend to have coffee cake for breakfast or as a treat for most casual social events (when we want something that isn’t as heavy as a cheese danish or doughnut and something more than a bagel or slice of toast).
Throughout the years, I’ve seen so many different styles and types of coffee cakes: there are dense coconut or banana nut coffee cakes, or the fluffy fruit filled coffee cakes like apple, strawberry, mango, or kiwi. There are also the nutty almond, and pecan coffee cakes; the list goes on and on.
Recently, I’ve had the opportunity to try out a few of the different kinds of store bought coffee cakess (apple, rasberry, and pecan), and it appeared to me that maybe there should be a coffee flavored coffee cake; so I put together a recipe for a tasty coffee crumble coffee cake. It is a standard coffee cake flavored with instant coffee and topped with a crumbly mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon.
This coffee cake is a tasty treat that is perfect for any occasion, and it can be made up to two days in advance.
2 cups of all-purpose flour (or 2 cups of wheat flour, or 1 cup all-purpose flour and 1 cup wheat flour, or 2 cups of cake flour; your choice)
¼ cup of white sugar
¼ cup of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of Starbucks via Dark Italian Roast instant coffee, or any instant coffee
2 teaspoons of baking powder
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) of unsalted butter
1 whole egg
1 cup of whole milk (or one cup of half and half, or one cup of cream)
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar (1/2 teaspoon of white sugar mixed with ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon)
(1 tablespoon melted butter, optional)
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 40 min
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: 6 to 8 servings
1. Pre heat your oven to 350 degree F.
2. In a medium mixing bowl sift together the 2 cups of All-purpose flour, ¼ cup of white sugar, ¼ cup of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 2 tablespoons of the Starbucks Italian Roast instant coffee.
3. Spray a medium sized baking dish with butter flavored cooking spray.
4. Place the two tablespoons of unsalted butter in a small microwave safe bowl and melt on high for 40 to 45 seconds, until completely melted. Remove from microwave and set aside to cool.
5. In a separate large mixing bowl (or using a standing mixer) whisk the one whole egg until light in color.
6. Add the one cup of milk to the beaten egg and mix well.
7. Add the 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract to the egg and milk mixture and blend well.
8. Add the slightly cooled melted butter to the egg and milk mixture.
9. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients (in three parts).
10. When both the dry and wet ingredients are fully mixed, pour the batter into the sprayed baking dish.
11. To make the crumble topping, combine, in a small mixing bowl, the 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar (and melted butter if you are using it).
12. Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the top of the coffee cake batter.
13. Bake the coffee cake for 40 minutes; it will be done when a toothpick comes out clean when poked through the middle of the cake.
14. Allow to cool to room temperature (about two hours) before serving.