Homemade Cracked Black Pepper Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Please rate this recipe!
This macaroni and cheese recipe has a little heat from black and red peppers. It has a mild cheese flavor, so if you are serving this to someone who isn't a big fan of cheese, they'll love it too. This dish goes well with just about meal, but we love it with baked pork chops, chicken, or for family get togethers.
- 8 oz Elbow macaroni
- 2 cups Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 TBSP Butter
- 2 TBSP Flour
- 1/2 tsp Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Ground Red or Cayenne Pepper
- 2 cups Milk
- Cook the elbow macaroni noodles according to package directions and drain well.
- While the noodles are cooking, I like to shred my own cheese from the block or you can use pre-shredded cheese. Separate cheese into 2, one cup servings.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter and stir in the flour. Whisk until well combined and a light brown color. Gradually add in the milk, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of shredded cheese, black pepper, and red pepper. Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce has thickened.
- Combine the noodles and cheese sauce in a large pot. Stir until well mixed. Grease a 2 QT baking dish with cooking spray then pour in the noodle mixture.
- Top the dish with the remaining 1 cup of cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes, broil for 5-6 minutes to get the top brown and crunchy. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.