Homemade Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken noodle soup is perhaps one of the most common and popular meals that people enjoy during the fall and winter, and also welcomed when someone is feeling under the weather. I have reviewed numerous recipes over the years for different ways to make what people believe to be the greatest chicken noodle soup.
When using the crock pot, it is difficult to add the noodles until the very end, and I have discovered that as long as you prepare the noodles separately, following the common instructions on the back of the package, the noodles can be added into the soup mixture before serving. The additions of celery, carrots, onions, and peas also increase the flavor of a soup which will bring back memories of childhood snow days.
By preparing the noodles separately, there is also no danger in the noodles overcooking. This recipe allows me to prepare an amazing chicken noodle soup that everyone can enjoy! I have also had numerous people request it when they are sick or during the coldest days of the winter.
By cooking the vegetables and chicken in the chicken broth with spices also allows for a flavorful base for the soup. Another key note is to check the level of the broth througout the day to ensure that enough liquid remains, if need to, add more chicken broth. While there are numerous recipes calling for water instead of chicken broth, I have discovered the broth allows for a greater flavored base!
- 4 c. chicken, diced & cooked
- 1 c. celery, diced
- 1 c. carrots, diced
- 1 c. onion, diced
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 6 c. chicken broth
- 1 c. frozen peas
- 2 c. egg noodles
- Clean the celery, carrots, and onions. Dice into consistent sizes, placing in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Place the diced chicken on top of the vegetables, and then add the salt, pepper, basil, parsley, and peas.
- Pour chicken broth over the chicken and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 1/2 hours.
- Follow the instructions on the egg noodle package to prepare the noodles.
- Once the noodles are tender, add the noodles to the crock pot and mix in, then serve!