Homemade Date Filled Cookies
Prep time: 50 min
Cook time: 30 min
Ready in: 1 hour 20 min
Yields: It depends, you can share 'em or have 'em all!
- 1 cup self raising flour, (if can't find self raising flour just add 1/2 tsp baking soda)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/2 cup butter, (melted)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp semolina
- a pinch of salt
- For Date Filling
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1 tbsp butter
- Firstly, pre heat the oven on gas mark 6/ 200C/ 400F.
- You need to prepare the date filling first so that it cools down as you are prepare the cookie dough. For that, take a pan heat butter in it and add the dates and just mix it vigorously for few minutes. Let the mixture cool down.
- For preparing the dough, take a big bowl and pour flour, sugar, cardamom powder, semolina and a pinch of salt. Now melt the butter and pour into the bowl and knead the mixture. Knead it until the mixture becomes smooth. It shouldn't be too sticky or too dry. If you feel its a bit dry add a little more butter in it and if it becomes too sticky you'll have to add a bit more flour. Cover the dough and leave it for about 20 odd minutes.
- Now make small dough balls either eight or ten equal sized balls. Place the ball on the palm of your hand and press it so that it becomes flat. Put some date filling on top of the flat dough and cover it with another flattened ball.
- Now place the cookies on a greased tray but make sure you place them slightly further from each other as they will rise a bit. Glaze them with beaten egg yolk and put inside the oven for about 30 minutes.
- When they turn golden from the top take them out. Serve them with your favorite cuppa!