Homemade Dog Cookies
Easy and Frugal
My dog Kera has always been a fussy eater, even when it comes to treats. My mother, an avid cookie baker, is always experimenting with cookie recipes and changing them to suit ingredients on hand. She came up with this one after finding my stash of frozen bacon grease, which I save to make suet for the wild birds.
I know bacon grease isn't the healthiest of ingredients but....a little in moderation is okay in my world. I have substituted vegetable shortening and they came out the same but I think its the bacon flavor that is the dog pleasing ingredient here. Needless to say Kera loves them.
- 3 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 cup Bacon Fat
- 1 cup Cheese, Shredded
- Handful Rolled oats
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Preheat the Oven to 400 degrees. Mix Dried stuff in the bowl, add wet stuff and enough milk to form a stiff dough Roll 1 inch thick. You can use cutters but I find it easier to cut into squares depending on your dog size. Bake 12 minutes until sthey start to brown. Leave in the oven until dry ( 1-2 hours)My dog likes them as soon as they come out of the oven ( once they are cooled down)
- These store very well in cookie tins
You can use substitutes for the bacon fat. I have used Vegetable shortening and peanut butter with positve results.
More Recipes For Dogs
- Easy Dog Food Recipes: How To Make Your Own Nutritious Homemade Dog Treats
Make some homemade dog treats. You can avoid all the harmful additives found in commercial dog treats and they are quick and easy.
- How To Make Your Own Pet Food.
Day in and day out feeding the same old diet is not advisable if you want a happy, bouncy, healthy pet around. So lets see what have we got in here and cook up a storm for our beloved four legged buddies :)
- Make Your Own Easy, Healthy, Natural Dog Foods