Homemade Egg Rolls
Use your deep fryer to make fresh homemade egg rolls. This quick and easy recipe can be completed from start to finish in less than 30 minutes.
- 4 oz ground pork
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tspn grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup finely chopped bok choy
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 tspn cornstarch
- 1/4 tspn sugar
- 1/8 tspn salt
- 4 egg roll skins
- 6 oz sweet and sour sauce
- cooking oil
- Mix the pork, garlic, and ginger together in a skillet. Cook over medium heat to brown the pork (about 2-3 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Drain the fat. Add bok choy, carrot, onion, and water chestnuts. Return to heat, and continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes while stirring. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Pour the mixture from the bowl into the skillet. Return the skillet to heat, and cook for another minute while stirring. Remove from heat, and allow to cool.
- Set an egg roll skin on a flat surface with a corner of the skin pointing toward you. Using a spoon spread approximately 4 tablespoons of the pork mixture from the skillet across the skin slightly below the center. Fold the bottom corner up over the pork mixture and tuck that corner in below the pork filling. At this point your egg roll should resemble "Image 1" to the right. Now, fold the side corners in slightly past center (forming an envelope shape) as depicted in "Image 2". Next, drizzle a few drops of water onto the remaining corner (top), and roll your egg roll up to it. Press firmly to seal.
- Preheat 2 inches of cooking oil to 365 degrees F. in your deep fryer.Fry the egg rolls just until golden-brown (about 2 minutes). Remove the egg rolls, and allow them to drain for a few minutes atop paper towels.
- Serve your homemade egg rolls with sweet and sour sauce.
- If you have a small deep-fat fryer, you may have to cook your egg rolls in batches (perhaps 2 at a time)
- Always follow the manufacturers instructions for your particular deep fryer. Never fill the unit with oil below or above the minimum/maximum fill lines if it is equipped with such.
|Serving size: 1 egg roll with sweet and sour sauce|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 2 g|
|Carbohydrates 43 g||14%|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 9 g||18%|
|Cholesterol 15 mg||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Thanks for checking out my egg roll recipe, hopefully my instructions were easy to follow. Perhaps more importantly, I hope you enjoy making these delicious homemade egg rolls.