Homemade Mac and Cheese with Egg Noodles
- Approximately 4 cups Noodles, Your choosing (the twisty kinds work best for holding the sauce)
- 1/2 stick= 4 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 cups Milk
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne
- 3+ cups Extra sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Boil app. 4 cups of noodles Al Dante. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven 400 degrees
Make the homemade cheese sauce:
- In medium saucepan, melt 4 tbsp butter over medium-low heat. Once melted, add 1/4 cup of flour, and whisk until blended--This will turn into a thick paste-like mixture-- stir constantly, so that it doesn't cook down to nothing.
- Whisk in 2 cups milk. Add salt and pepper to taste, and 1 teaspoon cayenne with 1 teaspoon nutmeg (cayenne & nutmeg optional). Bring to a low simmer, uncovered, whisking occasionally, for approximately 5 minutes.
- Grate the cheese while you're waiting for the sauce to thicken. (I use about 3 cups--obviously, the more cheese you add, the cheesier it will be--nothing wrong with that.): Set aside until sauce has finished simmering.
- Whisk cheese into sauce base until melted.
- Add the cooked elbow noodles to the cheese sauce, folding the cheese sauce over the noodles, coating well.
- Spray light layer of cooking spray over medium sized casserole dish; pour cheesy noodles in.
- Grate fresh cheddar over top (as much as you’d like). Cover loosely with tin foil; Bake approximately 20 minutes, or until golden brown and slightly crispy on top.
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 20 min
Ready in: 40 min
Yields: 6-8 people