- Food and Cooking
Homemade Mini Hot Ham and Cheese Pocket Puff Pastry
Many people, including children and college students turn to hot pockets for a quick and easy meal or snack. Everytime I hear the words hot pocket, I can't help but think about the comedian Jim Gaffigan. If you have not seen his hot pocket routine, you need to google him, it is hilarious. However, you may never want to eat another hot pocket in your life. I hardly ever ate hot pockets growing up, but I have many family memebers who have. I've found the perfect way to recreate these fast microwaveable "meals" and make them better for you as well. These homemade mini hot pockets are so versatile and can be filled with your child's favorite fixings. These easy to make pockets are a healthy way to recreate a hot pocket into a healthy poppable snack for all ages.
Ham & Cheese Pockets:
For 18 pastries:
- 1 (17/1/2 oz.) package of frozen puff pastry thawed for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Dijon Mustard
- 6 oz. sliced cheese cut into 3/1/2 by 2 in. strips. I prefer Cheddar or American cheese when mixing with ham, however your favorite cheese will work as well.
- 6 oz. sliced boiled or baked ham cut into the same 3/1/2 by 2 in. stripes as the cheese.
- 1 egg beaten
- Roll each sheet of puff pastry out to a 12 in. square on a lightly floured board or pastry cloth. Cut sheet into nine 4-in squares. Roll the second pastry sheet out and do the same.
- Spread each square lightly with Dijon mustard. Top half of each square with a strip of cheese and ham. Fold squares of pastry in half following the long edges of ham. Moisten edges and press with a fork to seal.
- Place pastries about 2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops lightly with egg and pierce tops with a fork in several places.
- Bake at 400 degrees until puffed and golden brown, usually 15 to 18 mins depending on your oven. Serve hot.
- Add scrambled eggs, bacon, and or sausage for a quick and easy hot breakfast.
- For a twist on the ever popular Totino's pizza rolls; add pizza sauce, pepperoni, cheese, and sausage for a quick poppable snack.
- Create you're own vegetarian hot pockets.
If need be, these hot pockets can be made before hand on baking sheets, refrigerated, and then brushed with egg just before baking. The possibilities are endless. No matter what you fill these little hot pockets with, they are sure to be a hit. These perfect poppable snacks are a great way to get your creativity going in the kitchen. Mix and create your own delicious fillings, and be sure to tell us all about them in the comments.