- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Homemade Open Faced Reuben Sandwich Recipe
I always liked going to a deli and getting a Reuben Sandwich (usually with a side order of potato salad and a pickle), but I never knew where the sandwich came from; I always thought since it had sauerkraut it was German. I found out later that it was created in around 1914 at Ruben’s Delicatessen in New York (although there are differing stories about its creation). However; What I was fascinated the most by was that it was originally served open faced. Just one toast piece of bread topped with corned beef, sauerkraut and cheese eaten with a fork and a knife. So, decided to make mine own open faced one: I don’t care the rye bread with those little seeds in it, so I substitute dark Russian rye bread and sometimes pastrami if I can’t get good corned beef. So if you only have pastrami is a good substitute.
Ingredients: (for making four sandwiches)
4 slices of Dark Russian rye bread
4 tablespoons Thousand Island dressing
1 lb. corned beef, sliced
1 26 oz. jar of Sauerkraut
4-8 slices Swiss cheese
1. Toast the bread slices either in an electric toaster or in a frying pan until really crispy but not burnt.
2. Either heat up the corned beef in the microwave or put it in a baking dish and bake it for 10-15 minutes @ 350 degree F, until hot.
3. The sauerkraut can be microwaved as well or put it in a cooking pot and boil over medium heat until hot.
4. When ready to put the sandwiches together, place each slice of bread on a separate plate.
5. Spread a tablespoon of the dressing on either slice of toasted bread.
6. Pile on a ¼ lb. of the corned beef.
7. Top with a heaping amount of hot sauerkraut.
8. Top that with a slice or two of Swiss cheese (the heat from the sauerkraut will melt the cheese)
9. Serve on a plate with a dill pickle and some potato salad if you like and eat with a knife and fork.
More Recipes by Edgar Arkham
- Simple And Easy Homemade Potato Salad
This is my mother's recipe for potato salad, and it is far better than anything bought at the store. Enjoy.
- Homemade Chicken and Bean Soup Recipe
Here is a recipe for a homemade chicken and bean soup. Enjoy!
- Chicken Tamale Pie
This is my version of one of my father's mexican food recipes. I changed some ingredients to make it less heavy and fatty. Enjoy.
- How to Make The Perfect Chicken Dinner
Dinner can seem difficult, but here is a recipe for a chicken dinner that is easy and delicious. Enjoy!
- Homemade Chicken, Sausage and Shrimp Stew Recipe
Here is a old recipe of mine for stew using chicken, sausage and shrimp. Enjoy!
- How to Make Homemade Chicken And Lentil Soup
Here's a great recipe for a chicken and lentil soup that's great on a cold day. Enjoy!