- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Pasta Recipes
Homemade Pasta Sauce With Meat Recipe
I enjoy making certain types of food from scratch; sometimes just to see if the homemade type is better than the canned store bought stuff. Pasta sauce is definitely one of those things I’m always curious about. I’m always hearing that this or that type of pasta sauce is “as good as homemade” or “better than grandma used to make”, but I can’t say I've even had grandma’s or homemade, so I couldn’t really agree or disagree with the statement. So, I figured I could always try and see if I could make my own homemade pasta sauce. I gave it a go a few times and this is the one that work for me. (Of course, like any recipe of this kind, you can always add this or that or remove or substitute other things.)
1/2 lb. ground turkey
1/2 lb. bulk sausage
(NOTE: you can use any ground meat or combinations of them; such as lamb or beef)
1 yellow onion, diced
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 (26 oz.) can of crushed tomatoes
4 oz. of tomato paste
1 (26 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon of white sugar
6 minced cloves garlic
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon marjoram
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large frying pan, brown meat (turkey/sausage) with onions and crushed red pepper.
2. When meat is fully cooked, drain completely and set aside.
3. In a large cooking pot combine crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste.
4. Heat sauce over medium, and stir until it is warm and combined.
5. Add sugar, garlic, vinegar, oregano, basil, and marjoram.
6. Bring sauce to a boil.
7. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes; stirring occasionally.
8. Add drained meat and onions to the sauce and simmer for another 15-20 minutes until meat is heated through. Taste and re-season (salt and pepper) if desired.
9. Use sauce for any combination of pasta dishes, or just serve over garlic bread.
NOTE: For a healthier meal, use whole wheat pasta (i.e. spaghetti, or rigatoni).
More Recipes By Edgar Arkham
- Simple And Easy Homemade Potato Salad
This is my mother's recipe for potato salad, and it is far better than anything bought at the store. Enjoy.
- How To Make Yorkshire Puddings Using A Muffin Tin
In America every time when we think of pudding we think of Jello, but in Britian a pudding can be something other than a dessert. A Yorkshire Pudding is kind of like a dinner roll that is usually served with gravy. I thought I would share my recipe.
- How to Make Homemade Goulash With Pasta
This is a recipe that my mother used to make. It's a meat and pasta
- Tilapia with White Rice Recipe
Here is a quick and simple recipe for tilapia with rice. It's a healthy white fish with great flavor. Enjoy!
- Chicken Tamale Pie
This is my version of one of my father's mexican food recipes. I changed some ingredients to make it less heavy and fatty. Enjoy.
- Easy Homemade Lasagna
Here is a recipe for homemade lasagna using some ground meat and sausage. Enjoy!
- How to Make The Perfect Chicken Dinner
Dinner can seem difficult, but here is a recipe for a chicken dinner that is easy and delicious. Enjoy!