- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Homemade Potato Hash-Browns or Home-fries recipe
There's nothing better than a big hearty breakfast on the weekend that includes hash-browns or home-fries. Some people call them hash-browns and others call them home-fries. There are various ways to make these potatoes, so I've included two recipes.
Both recipes will serve 4 - 5 people.
- 4 medium - large potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 4 - 5 slices of bacon
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves (optional)
- vegetable oil
If you don't have a microwave you can wash the potatoes, cut in half and boil for ten minutes, or until partially tender.
These home-fries can be made with or without bacon.
You may want to add diced green peppers.
Season with anything you like. I like to add Slap Ya Mama white pepper Cajun seasoning.
Start by preparing the ingredients
- Wash and scrub the potatoes and pierce for microwaving.
- Cook the potatoes in the microwave for 6 minutes, turning over after 3 minutes.
- Chop and dice the onion and set aside.
- If you are using garlic cloves, peel and slice thin.
- Slice bacon into bite sized pieces.
- In an electric frying pan or a frying pan on the stove, fry the bacon slices on a medium setting. You don't want to cook the bacon all the way through as you will be adding the potatoes, onion and garlic, and cooking everything together.
- Once the potatoes are partially cooked, remove from microwave and dice.
Cooking the Home-Fries
In the frying pan that the bacon is frying in, add 1 tbs. of vegetable oil and turn to a high setting. Add potatoes, chopped onion and garlic cloves. Fry and stir until potatoes are a golden brown. Add paprika and fresh ground pepper.
Electric Skillets Are Great For Home-Fries
Ingredients for hash-browns
- 4 medium sized baking potatoes
- 1 large onion diced (optional)
- 1-2 tbs. vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Cooking the Hash-Browns
Wash and peel potatoes, and then grate them. To remove the moisture from the potatoes I use a potato ricer. If you do not have a ricer roll between paper towels and press to get the moisture out.
In a large frying pan heat 1 - 2 tbs. of vegetable oil and add the chopped onion. Fry for about 2 minutes.
Add the grated potatoes, fry for several minutes. With a spatula flip the potatoes over and continue to fry until cooked. You can make these as crispy as you like.
- Potatoes And Potato Peels Antitoxins Health Benefits
There are healthy benefits to eating potato peels. Vitamins such as C and B6, potassium, manganese and copper can be found in the potatoes as well as the peel.
- Easy Favorite Ways to Cook Potatoes
Potatoes are versatile and inexpensive. You can make lots of easy dishes from potatoes. Here are some favorite and easy potato recipes.