Homemade Roasted Tomato Pesto
There are always those certain favorite few recipes that you reach for over and over again. You might even have a certain special occasion that you prepare the recipe for.
These are the recipes that when you make them and you think, why don't I make that more often? A recipe like this one is just that!
It is good to make on a rainy day or when you have plenty of time and want to experiment in the kitchen. I don't know about you but, I absolutely love to cook and I love Italian food. These are two great combinations!! I have always wanted to make my own pesto at home and this recipe is a twist on an original favorite. Look for different ways to serve.
Get those older kids/teenagers involved as well by having them come into the kitchen with you to make the pesto or something different (they may not like pesto). The point is to get them involved. This is a great way to not only get the young cook in your life involved with cooking but, it also is an easy way to squeeze in some family time. Have them put those phones and other electronic devices down. Unless, it is to brag to their friends about being in the kitchen, with mom or dad. That, would be okay with me, if I was a parent.
I hope that you will be able to enjoy this recipe and then let me know what you think by leaving your comments capsule located at the bottom of this page.
The next section talks about how you can use pesto as a gift but, you can also use pesto in pasta and on some of your favorite crusty bread. These are great ways to use your homemade pesto.
Don't forget to include your children, maybe not for this recipe necessarily but, let them help you. It makes them feel needed and wanted, even though they will not tell you.
Vine ripe tomatoes
Tomato Pesto Ranking
Give as a gift..
This homemade pesto would be a perfect gift to give at Christmas or for a birthday. This recipe can be made up and stored in airtight containers.
A cute idea: I th ink that a great gift idea for a friend's birthday would be to find a unique jar to put the pesto in. Use some rustic string or something to tie around the jar. Then find a cute little basket and other things you might use to cook the Roasted Tomato Pesto and include them in the basket as well.
Of course, you can decorating skills, and decorate the basket however you want to, just include the pesto and a few utensils for the kitchen. This could be given as a gift for a bride-to-be at her wedding shower. This is a popular idea for a bride to be.
Depending on how you decorate the basket could determine what kind of gift this is going to be. The possibilities could be endless. You might do an Italian theme and make the pesto and put it in a basket with hand towels and an Italian cookbook. This would be another great idea for a wedding shower gift. If you have a friend who loves to cook, then I think these types of gifts are unique and thoughtful.
The pesto can be frozen for up to three months. It will be just as tasty as the day it was made!
Please feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments box located at the bottom of this page.
Harry Potter Cook Book
What you will need...
- 16-20 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 small onions, cut into thin wedges
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
On step three, after you have completed the 3rd step, to fix the rest of the pesto you can place one-fourth of the tomato mixture in a blender container. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the olive oil and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the balsamic vinegar and a dash of the pepper. Cover and blend with four or five pulses until coarsely chopped and mixture just begins to form a paste. Transfer to the bowl and repeat with the remaining ingredients in three more batches.
Roasted Tomato Pesto Pizza
Making the Pesto
- The first thing you will want to do is to preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place the tomatoes, with the cut sides up, in a shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle the tomatoes with the salt. You will need to let them sit for 30 minutes.
- Add the onions and the garlic to the roasting pan. Drizzle the onions and garlic with the four tablespoons of olive oil, gently tossing to coat. Roast for about twenty minutes or until the tomatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Cool in the pan on the wire rack for twenty minutes.
- Place half of the tomato mixture into a large food processor bowl. Add one tablespoon of the olive oil, one tablespoon of the balsamic vinegar and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Then put the lid on the processor and with 4-5 pulses chop the mixture until it has just begun to form a paste. Then transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Repeat these steps again with the remaining ingredients.
- To serve, divide the pesto into four one cup portions. Place three portions into three airtight containers. The pesto can be stored in the freezer for up to three months.
Have You Tried It?
Have you ever tomato pesto before?
Roasted Tomato and Parmesan Pesto
Food and Recipe Hubs!
- Pork Chops and Hash Brown Bake
This recipe is a personal favorite. It is super easy to make and great to serve if you have company coming over. Pictures, video, a poll, a quiz and commentary are found in this hub.
- Country Deer Meat & Gravy
This recipe illustrates how to prepare and cook deer meat and gravy. Pictures, videos, a poll, ingredients and other facts and information are listed in this article. Also, a ratings capsule is here.
- Country Ham and Cheese Casserole Recipe
This casserole recipe features you tube videos, pictures, ingredients, cook time, a ratings capsule. When making a ham and cheese casserole you use ham, seasoned croutons and cheese.
- The Original Toll House Cookie Story
- South of the Border Chicken Soup
With all the rainy weather that we have had lately a hearty soup is just what the doctor ordered. The name of the recipe says it all. This soup will satisfy your south of the border craving.
- Dominos Pizza Menu Review
Domino's serves Pizza, wings, cheesy bread, sandwiches, desserts and pasta. Their menu is reviewed along with pictures, you tube videos, a poll and commentary. They offer delivery and carry out.
Pesto Nutrition Ingredients
|Serving size: 56 grams|
|Calories from Fat||189|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 21 g||32%|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 6 g||2%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 720 mg||30%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
-cheese made from...
© 2013 Buster Johnson