- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Tostada Ideas for a Fast and Easy Lunch
Tostadas are very nutritious
Rate This Recipe
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheese, Colby and Monterey Jack, Cheddar, or Mexican Blend, Cheese can be made with low fat or skim milk.
- 1-1/12 Pounds Ground Beef, This can be as lean as preferred. Drain off excess fat before mixing taco spices.
- 1 Bunch or Head Green Leaf Lettuce, Washed and torn or cut into small bite sized pieces
- 16 Ounce Can Refried Beans, Heated through on stovetop or microwave
- 1-2 Boxes of Tostada Shells Tostada Shells, Heated according to directions on packaging in oven or microwave
- 8 Ounce Container Sour Cream, Substitute low fat plain yogurt as low fat option
- 1-2 Tomatoes, Washed and Diced. Roma Tomatoes work well.
- 1 packet Taco Spice Packet-Mix with water according to packet directions, You can put together your own favorite Mexican spices instead using chili powder, onion powder, etc.
Easy To Make: Follow Instructions Below
- Heat ground beef and refried beans in separate pans over medium high heat. Drain ground beef and return to fry pan, adding water and taco seasoning spices according to directions. Simmer for approximately 10 minutes. Spread a thin layer of refried beans on warmed tostada shell. Add layer of ground beef, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes. Top with sour cream, black olives, and taco sauce. See below for vegetarian tostada and additional topping options.
- Makes enough for about 4 people. Leftovers can be used with Doritos, Fritos, or Tostitos chips for quick taco salad snack.
Vegetarians See Below
Vegetarian Tostada Variation
- You may substitute ground veggie burgers for the ground beef. Some grocery freezer departments carry a ground beef substitute made from vegetables only. Check with your local grocer for availability. You may also use white or refried rice and refried or black beans if you like.
- For toppings, add black olives, sour cream, chopped avocados or guacamole, peppers, bean sprouts, taco sauce, hot sauce, Pico de Gallo, onions, black beans, fried, white, or brown rice.
Tostadas are great choice for a fast lunch.
After having problems with broken shells after loading them up with all of the fixings, I thought for a change we should try something different. It worked out excellent and had great presentation on a plate. Please add your recipe variation ideas for our readers at the bottom. Thanks.