- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Homemade Vanilla Coffee Ice Cream Recipe
- Prep time: 2 hours 30 min
- Cook time: 40 min
- Ready in: 3 hours 10 min
- Yields: 6-8 servings
Anytime you dedicate yourself to making certain foods, such as ice cream, fresh and homemade, it’s difficult to eat the store bought stuff or a vendor’s ice cream (Coldstone, for example) without constantly comparing it to your own recipe. (Plus, you are routinely looking to add another flavor to your cookbook.) So, I basically try to think of new and different ice cream flavors any time I eat ice cream.
The following is a recipe for Vanilla Coffee Ice Cream. Normally, when I make coffee ice cream I use Starbucks VIA instant coffee. I use three of the single packets of the Italian Roast (my favorite coffee) which amounts to about 2-3 tablespoons of instant coffee.
For this recipe for Vanilla Coffee and I still use the Starbucks VIA instant coffee, but it is with their Vanilla coffee. However the packets for those single servings are much larger and just one of the packets is equal to three of the Italian Roast ones.
I’ve published recipes for ice cream before, however they were not overly detailed. For this one I have added more some more detailed and step-by-step instructions (and pictures) to it. Hopefully this will help with the more difficult parts of making the custard; (The tempering of the eggs with the hot cream and cooking of the custard).
The first time I made homemade ice cream using custard instead of just iced milk (or plain iced cream) I found myself being very nervous and worried that I wouldn’t get it right. If I had a more helpful guide it would have been nice.
So, I wanted to help anyone else who feels that way by giving better directions to make them feel more comfortable and relaxed when making this ice cream. Once you get the hang of it, it is actually quite easy and the finished product is well worth the effort.
For The Vanilla Coffee Flavoring:
1 packet of Starbucks Via single Vanilla Coffee
¼ cup of heavy cream
¼ cup of white sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
For The Custard:
6 egg yolks
¾ cup of heavy cream
1 cup of white sugar
1/8 teaspoon of salt
For The Churned Ice Cream:
2 cups of heavy cream
Kitchware That You Will Need
-1 small mixing bowl
-1 medium sauce or cooking pan / pot
-1 large (4 cup volume) measuring cup
-1 small (2 cup volume) measuring cup
-1 handheld strainer
-1 Stirring spoon
-1 ice cream maker
Directions For The Vanilla Coffee Flavoring
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine the packet of Starbucks vanilla coffee, the vanilla extract, the ¼ cup of heavy cream, and the ¼ cup of white sugar.
2. Mix these ingredients together until they are well blended.
3. Cover the mixing bowl with tin foil and place in the refrigerator while you make the ice cream custard.
Directions For Making The Custard
1. In a medium sauce pan of cooking pot, combine the ¾ cup of sugar, the 1/8 teaspoon of salt and the 1 cup of heavy cream.
2. Place the six (6) egg yolks in a small bowl.
3. Heat (and stir) over medium heat until the mixture is warm to hot (but not boiling).
4. Pour / add half of the heated cream into the egg yolks and whisk together.
5. Add the egg yolk and cream mixture back into the cooking pot with the rest of the heated cream.
6. Constantly stir the mixture, still over medium heat, until you have a thickened custard (kind of like a thick gravy). Do not let it stand or boil; this will over cook the egg and you will have milky scrambled eggs. (SEE VIDEO)
7. Pour the custard through a strainer into the 4-cup volume measuring cup
8. Cover the custard with plastic wrap; make sure to press the plastic wrap down onto the custard (this will keep a skin from forming on the top of the custard while it cools.)
9. Refrigerate the custard, along with the vanilla coffee flavoring, for a minimum of 2 hours.
1. After the allotted chilling time, remove the vanilla coffee mixture and the custard from the refrigerator.
2. Take two (2) cups of cold heavy cream and pour half (one cup) into the bowl with the flavoring and the other half (one cup) into the custard.
3. Mix of each of the two well before pour the vanilla coffee flavoring into the custard and mixing again.
4. When the custard, cream and vanilla coffee flavoring are completely mixed together, pour the mixture into the ice cream maker (make sure that it is running before pouring in the custard).
5. Churn the vanilla coffee ice cream the recommended time according to your machine (mine is 25 minutes).
6. After the ice cream is fully churned, you may serve it immediately (soft serve) or scooping it into a air tight container and chill it in the freezer for at least 12-24 hour before serving (this will give it more time to freeze and set up).