- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
Healthy Flavorful Beef Vegetable Soup
A gift from my kitchen to yours.
This is a hearty soup that I first made for my family a few years ago. It was an instant hit and I am asked to make it often. Your family will never know this is a low fat healthy dish.
Serve it with crackers, corn bread or fresh baked specialty bread from the bakery.
- 1lb Hamburger or Turkey, (97 % lean) Hamburger
- 1, 32 oz. carton Swanson Beef Broth sodium reduced
- 1/2 large pkg Frozen mixed vegetables with potatoes and ocra
- 1 28 oz can Diced Tomatoes, Regular not Italian
- 1 TBS Sugar
- 1 Large Sweet Onion
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Brown beef in a skillet until the meat turns gray and is no longer pink. As you are browning the meat chopped it up into small pieces with a spatula. Drain hamburger when done to remove all the grease.
- In a heavy pot, on top of the stove at medium heat, add the hamburger, all the vegetables, beef broth and sugar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When liquid comes to a boil turn it down to a low simmering boil. Soup is ready when the potatoes are done. This is a thicker soup but if you want more liquid, add more beef broth.
- You may substitute turkey for the beef and it will taste good as long as you brown the turkey and separate it the same as the hamburger. You may add a little Olive oil if needed to help brown the turkey. If you cannot find a bag of vegetables with potatoes and ocra, use a bag of frozen soup mixed vegetables and add a cup of frozen ocra and a cup of diced potatoes approximately the same size as the ocra. If using unfrozen potatoes, let the frozen vegetable cook for about 40 minutes before adding the raw potatoes. Ocra adds flavor to the soup so I would not leave it out of the recipe.